Sign in to follow this  

KTM exc250 Racing or WR250F

have reached the stage which many bikers hate, choosing between to great bikes.

At the moment i am on a 2-stroke kawasaki, and would greatly love to try my first thumper. I would use the bike for light enduro and mainly messing around in woodland and green lanes.

I am just struggerling to decide between the yamaha ot ktm, they both have their plus and negative points. One of my friends has a wr450f and he loves it, and another friend has a ktm loves it to, but is struggling with the maintence.

If you own ither a exc250 racing or a wr250f please post the plus and possible negative points, if you dont own ither please feel free to post what you think about the bike.

I will not be buying the bike brand new, it will be used, about 02/03/04 so if you have ither of these bikes for sale please email me on Jimdarkice@gmail.com

I really need your help!

which KTM 250 are you considering? the RFS or the 2 stroke? the 2 stroke is a great bike, the RFS is a heavy, underpowered pig.

my picks: 1) EXC 250 2 stroke 2) WR250 3) EXC 250 RFS

jeremiah

I was considering the 250 exc racing, RFSm the heavy unpowered pig.

Guess that kind of answers that, go for the WR250F.

Thanks

Yamaha didn't put the e-button on the WR till 03, and any of the WRs will need to be unplugged to run well. The 250 RFS is said to be underpowered in stock form, but if you found a good enough deal and could put a big bore kit (HT 351 kit) on one they are said to be one of the best off-road bikes around. You can check out comments on the 250 RFS at KTMTalk.com

I say go with the 250RFS and invest in the 351 kit. I've only ridden mine on the road in motard trim but it handles beautifully and has ample power on tap even with a 14/35 sprocket combo.

BLUE=POOH

ORANGE=GOOD!!! 😢

If you think the EXC 250 rfs needs to be uncorked you have not been on a stock WR 250 YUCK!!!! Go on up to the Big Bore 400 or 450 EXC

First you need to acknowledge class rules, you will note they allow 125 2 strokes to run agaist 250 four strokes, Neither 250 4 stroke is going to be any power house. My Son has 5 or 6 of the KTM 250EXC RFS bikes he uses in his off road tour business, they work great but not real fast. With very minor work on his own he is competitive in Enduros but it is reved to the max much like a 125 2 stroke. A twin cam engine like the Yamaha has and KTM is expected to have later next year will make more power by reving higher, about 15% higher rev limit will make almost 15% more power but that is way up there where trail riders don't get much benifit.

For a general purpose dirt bike you are probubly going to want a little more steam, one of the best combos out there is that bike with a big bore kit, makes it 351, another is the 400EXC which has a little more stroke which makes the bike feal bigger. When you go to the 450EXC it is a long stroke engine and you loose that small bike nimbleness.