Sign in to follow this  

MX AND Trails

Hello, I have a dilemma that many of you have I bet. I love to ride MX and trails equally as much on my 02 yz250f. Yet on the trails, because it is a motocross bike, jumps around and is as stiff is a board. Any suggestions. I'm willing to spend money to get the suspension tuned, BUT i don't want to sacrifice the MX suspension handling whatsoever, I would like it so I can just adjust the suspension to be suited for trails. Any suggestions? Should I just buy WR forks and shock and just switch them out every time i ride trails or MX. -Angelo

I have battled with this issue for years. What has worked best is to set up the valving for MX, then drop the oil level to the lowest acceptable level. This way it holds up for the big landings but backing out the clickers works ok for trails. For trails its still harsh but you need to live with that for it to be stiff enough for MX. The high dollar option is to send it to Enzo for sub tanks.

I had Moto Pro suspension send me valves and instructions and did my CRF450 for trail riding. Plush, but not over plush like my XR250. I can put stiffer springs and do full moto with stiffer clicker settings. No compromises for track or trail, but it does take about 2 hours to change the springs out thanks to the twin chamber forks. Without the spring changes, there would be some compromise.

Subtanks will help with the harshness on both Track and Trail. You can find them for around $200.00. I would try them before I spent more money on valving. I completely agree with changing the compression settings for the trail. You may want to try the rebound, but try compression first. Take a note pad and find where you like the settings for both types of riding, then it will be easy to make the change from one to the other. IMO.