Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 125 Oil Change / Bypass Spring Assembly / Help

Well.... while changing the oil on my son's DRZ-125, I also removed the 2nd drain plug with what appears to be the oil bypass valve. Thinking a large gush of oil was coming, I pulled my hand / plug away only to have the spring and valve/piston fall into my oil change bucket leaving me clueless of the re-assembly order. 😢

None the less, I'm reluctant to just 'stick it back in' without knowing the assembly order. I assume the valve / piston sits in the spring and is held in place by the drain bolt and that the valve / piston goes in first?

I know, I know.... I should have a service manual (which I have for my DRZ400)... but I don't.

Any thoughts ????

I looked through the Service Manual and couldn't see it mentioned. However, I believe the order is: piston in first, spring second and, of course, bolt last. The pressure of the spring on the back side of the piston sets the oil pressure.

Thanks !!

I reinstalled it with the piston nesting in the spring, then held in place by the bolt. Looks like it should work right. If any thinks I'm off.... let me know.

Thanks for the effort help. 😢

Did the same thing the first time I changed the oil. You got it back together correctly. Roost on.

did that also! I found a picture of it in my service manual, though. I'm at work right now, but I will look when I get home to make sure you are correct!

Edit: Just looked it up on the kawasaki website( www.buykawasaki.com; in the parts diagram section).

That "piston" is the shift cam stopper, and it DOES sit on top of the spring.

To find the parts diagrams, look under the vehicle information section, then the parts diagrams, then choose your bike. This is labeled as a "playbike". Part numbers are also given.

Ive changed my oil crap loads of times and this has never happened 🙂🙂