Sign in to follow this  

Stipped Bolt?

I have a stripped out engine oil drain bolt. I've tried wrenches and everything to get it off! Can anyone give me any ideas? 😢

Heres a suggestion that might help ya out. theres a set a pliers you can get from sears called alligator pliers there just simply awesome i am a long time mechanic and i will swear by these pliers. i have used them numerous times in situations such as this and haven't been let down. I am sure these will get the bolt out for you no problem. heres a link to the pliers that I m describing to you http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=6897&group_ID=755&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

now this shows them from snap on but you can get them at sears or a local auto parts store for a few bucks less i am sure.

If You Can Get A Bite On The Bolt With Pliers Or Something, Take A Propane Torch And Heat The Surrounding Areas, But Not The Bolt. Don't Get It Too Hot To Melt Gaskets And Stuff, But It Will Make The Case Expand And Make The Bolt Easier To Get Out.

Heres a suggestion that might help ya out. theres a set a pliers you can get from sears called alligator pliers there just simply awesome i am a long time mechanic and i will swear by these pliers. i have used them numerous times in situations such as this and haven't been let down. I am sure these will get the bolt out for you no problem. heres a link to the pliers that I m describing to you http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=6897&group_ID=755&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

now this shows them from snap on but you can get them at sears or a local auto parts store for a few bucks less i am sure.

Thanks A Bunch! 😢

Use a sharp chizzle and a hammer to loosen the bolt. You want to strike in the counterclockwise direction to loosen using a little bit of an angle into the piece the bolt is attaching.

The Craftsman bolt extractor works great. Be careful not to bust the head of the bolt off. That's happened to me a couple times.

bmac

Try cutting a slot with a hacksaw blade then use a flatblade to remove it. I had to do this for my endcap bolts on my bike. One of them anyone, the damn allem bolts were tied too tight and it chewed out the aluminum...

Also had to do this for a bolt when me and my brother rebuilt his RX-7 engine.

if you have a dremmel you can take a cutting disk and make a straight cut in the bolt and use a screwdriver to take out pretty much what 250thumper said but a little faster.

If all of the above fails weld a nut on the old drain plug, let it cool and it will come right out.

this might be a better solution as the tool can keep the tansion while you twist, no need to keep squeeze on

Mole grips

We call 'em locking pliers or Vise Grips on this side of the pond. 😢 Vise Grips is a popular brand name and are the brand everybody gets. 😢

Vise Grips

We call 'em locking pliers or Vise Grips on this side of the pond. 😢 Vise Grips is a popular brand name and are the brand everybody gets. 😢

Vise Grips

I was wondering what "mole" grips were......lol

When I did the one on my 426 I had to use and easy out and vice grips. The bolt was in to tight and to soft for just the easy out.