Sign in to follow this  

Brake squeal.....

Should I have gotten new pads when I got new rotors? I'm getting a SQUEEEEEL in the front end now. Steel lines, Stock size Braking Wave rotor, stock pads with 2000 miles on 'em. It happens under hard or soft braking and seems to only happen once heated up. Everything is tight since the SM swap... re-scuff the pads?.....Brake quiet spray?....New pads? This squeal has got to go......Any sure fire cures????? Do NOT say 320 rotor 😢😢

well,technically you should do new pads with a new rotor.

but in reality,thats probably not your issue.

the stock fornt brake will be extremely overwhelmed by the 17's.

I would make sure that you have no air in the brake lines, when I went to braided lines it was a REAL PIA to get them bled all of the way. Next try a little brake cleaner and see what happens, if that does not work go to a better pad. 😢

well,technically you should do new pads with a new rotor.

but in reality,thats probably not your issue.

the stock fornt brake will be extremely overwhelmed by the 17's.

I figured that for the street, the steel lines and the cool looking Wave rotor would be enough. So now I've got too much tire....Go on and tell me....Am I gonna end up with a big rotor and different caliper???? 😢 Would re-scuffing the pads or new pads help? I'm spent out, boys....at least till after the holidays, gimme a brake secret for Christmas.... 😢

New brake rotors sometimes come with a coating to keep them from corroding (actually to keep em new looking till someone buys them), not sure about Braking's, never tried them. Light rubbing with fine steel wool and brake cleaner removes it. I have heard using a heat gun helps get all the stuff out of the metal's pores.

I would try cleaning the rotors with brake/contact cleaner and sanding the pads with 200-400 grit. Lay the sandpaper on a piece of glass to keep it perfectly flat. If this don't work I would try new brake pads. If you or the ECW guys cleaned the rotors before install I would go straight to new pads and break them in.

....Am I gonna end up with a big rotor and different caliper???? 😢

You might end up with a larger rotor at some point, but a new caliper isn't really necessary for the street. I love my 320mm MotoMaster rotor with the stock caliper.

Sure, a fancy caliper would be better, but $$$$!

Well I just cleaned a BUNCH of brake dust out of the caliper, and scuffed the pads with a scotch-brite pad on my die grinder. They were very smooth and shiny 😢 I can pop for some new pads....what's the best?

Brake squeal is caused by break pads vibrating when it's in contact with rotor. they sell adhesive backing material to help stop this. sometimes it is in a thick liquid form if you replaced car brake pads before you get a little package of the stuff .You may have some laying around. scuff up the pads a little ( wear facemask or do outside) this may buy you some time.but burned suggestion is the standard fix, good luck. 😢

I use EBC MX-S, but i have the stock rotors on my SM wheels. Never tried one of dem fancy newfangled wavy ones. If it is a stainless steel rotor the EBC MX-S will work well.

I'm still pinching pennies for at least a 320mm MM streetkit.