Importing wr250f from japan

Hi

I posted a thread eariler, in which i was trying to decide between and ktm exc racing or the wr250F, thanks to the replies i got, i went straight for the WR!

I am wanting to import a wr250f from japan, it can be from 2003 to 2005.

I would just like some infromation on how to go about importing one. Who i would need to contact, the rough pricing, and whether its even possible!

Thank you

Yeah they do, but they charge such a large amount, £5500 for new 2005 wr250F, thats around $8500, si if i import from japan it will be far cheaper.

Or do they sell them over there quite cheaply?

If could you please send me some dealer websites, or shipping companies.

Thanks

Really, would that deal in those particular dealerships be able to ship to the UK?

And as X2468 said, that being from the Uk they would not be able to import to the uk,Is that true?, altough i live in the UK am i still able to import one from canada and would it be cheaper?

Could you please tell me a yamaha dealer in canada?

Thanks

"Out the door" you mean? That means that's the price you pay after tax, document fees, freight fees & a bunch of other obnoxious fees are thrown on top of the listed price and you're finally walking out the door rubbing your butt and recapping the KY! ? :cry:

Regulary the WR250F will MSRP @ $6000 here (the states), and you get out the door for $7200. That's close enough to $8500 that with shipping across the sea you might end up paying just about the same thing as you would in the UK. I just happened to take advantage of the Yamaha special they are having right now. ?

I'd imagine for a price they'd ship any bike you wanted anywhere! Okay, but seriously, I would Google motorcycle shipping. Then I'd contact some of the shippers and ask them what their rates are and how much of the handling of the bike they'd be willing to do. (ie picking it up, etc) Some of the dealers here are pretty nice. I bought a bike for my husband's birthday. They loaded my bike onto their trailer & truck, drove me to a storage unit nearby, unloaded it, put it in my unit & drove me back to the dealer for no additional charge.

Jim, try closer http://www.japan-speed.de/pre/index.htm

I think importing from Japan or US will ruin the price because of transportcosts, VAT and customs and other expenses.

I never felt comfortable with the US way to inform prices; you finally pay totally something else what the price tag says. It is like misleading a consumer. Like the compulsory tips, strange system. I like to see the price I have to pay without any added rip-offs; tips, taxes, dues or handling fees. Well, a bit off-topic...

with the strength of the pound and the euro at an all time high, i would think that it may work out much better for you to buy a bike from the usa now that we have such a devalued dollar. (send your thanks to mr g.w.bush -- we are printing money to finance the war.)

furthermore, if there is any way to arrange buying a "slightly used" bike (maybe a floor demo model) you could probably save a lot on customs VAT as well. anyway, just stuff to consider. i just think that with your currency going further than ever it might be a good time to pay for american goods. "dirt bike arbitrage", maybe i could make a living off this ... ?

(someone will of course point out the irony that a 250F isn't exactly "american goods".)

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Yeah i agree with wrooster, it is good for us because of the high value of the pound, although it does not work so well importing to the UK, things become more expensive than first thought.

As wrooster said "furthermore, if there is any way to arrange buying a "slightly used" bike (maybe a floor demo model) you could probably save a lot on customs VAT as well.", anyone know any dealers selling second hand wr250f's, 2003 or newer?

Do you think i sould drop the idea of importing from japan then?

Thanks

in US dealer parlance, there are usually what are called "leftovers", or last model year bikes that did not sell. so the dealer may have '04 bikes still on floor as he is selling '05 bikes. of course he has to mark down the '04 model or he'll be stuck with it forever. this may be your play.

what kind of prices are you getting from the dealers in the UK?

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Ok, i'll look into that wrooster, thanks.

The prices ive been quoted for an 05 is about £5300 or $9300, and for an 04 about £4500 or $8200. And thats alot compared to what there going for over there.

So do you think its a good idea for me to import one from the USA?

If so, any recommened dealers other than http://www.motorcycle-brokers.com?

Thanks

in US dealer parlance, there are usually what are called "leftovers", or last model year bikes that did not sell. so the dealer may have '04 bikes still on floor as he is selling '05 bikes. of course he has to mark down the '04 model or he'll be stuck with it forever. this may be your play.

what kind of prices are you getting from the dealers in the UK?

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

The $5400 OTD I got for my WR was an 04 "leftover." They were trying to get rid of them to make room for the new 05s.

So do you think its a good idea for me to import one from the USA?

get some quotes.

If so, any recommened dealers other than http://www.motorcycle-brokers.com?

what's wrong with them? people have had very good experiences with them, and a quick check of their website shows that they are set up to ship to the UK for a very reasonable price:

http://www.motorcycle-brokers.com/mypage.html?pg=UKShipping

that sounds like a plan. not that i would condone trickery like this ?, but if you can get www.motorcycle-brokers.com to ship you an '04 as a "used"? bike i'm sure you could save a bundle of money at customs and on import VAT.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Check out TMX they have plenty of people importing them, for as little as £4k on the road, they can then be modded with the info from the guys on here. Try Seward racing in St Austel, Cornwall. 01726 851733 They will courier it for about £60. Have a few mates who have done this. The guy is easy to deal with and knows his stuff.