Sign in to follow this  

gearing help

I primarily ride two tracks. One is a wide open track with only one tight spot and it is still pretty open. I also ride an indoor track that is super tight. I am not able to clear most of the jumps because I come out of a turn and am not able to get enought momentum. ON the outdoor track I feel that I am coming out of the turns sluggishly. I own a 2004 yz250f the stock gearing is still there 13/48. I was just wondering what two gear ratios would be best for these tracks even if I have to by two sets of sprockets.

I run a 52 rear sprocket. you will need a longer chain (2 links).

Just remember that you may need to improve your cornering speeds to clear these obstacles.

Try running a 50 tooth sprocket for the really tight tracks and a 47 or stock sprocket for the open tracks.

Ran the 52 yesterday on the indoor. It was great on the taller ratio 426, but ran out of gear to fast on the 250F

I am going to get my 51 from my friend again and try that. Otherwise, it maybe a 50.

I would leave the stock rear sprocket, but change the countershaft sprocket. This is essentially the same as changing 3 or 4 teeth at the rear by changing one up front. I run a 14 on the front and 48 on the back, I never feel like I need more bottom end. Even on tight indoor tracks or riding tight trails, weaving the handlebars through trees, then opening it up on a road, this gearing is just fine for me. Much less time and effort is required to change front sprockets compared to the rear. This is the main reason I would change the coutnershaft sprocket. Remember that for optimum chain and sprocket life, change all three componets at the same time.

I've been running a 13/50 combo both indoor and out and love it. I pull a little faster out of the hole and still have plenty of gear left to rev out.