Sign in to follow this  

hillbilly helmet cam !

All,

I do not have the cash at the moment to buy all that is needed to make a good helmet cam setup ... However, that does not stop me from experimenting with my current JVC mini-dv, cardboard, duct tape, a spare helmet, and 45 minutes. It even has a lens protector made from a plastic container ! These are from today:

I hope you all get a laugh 😢

helmet_cam2.jpg

helmet_cam3.jpg

helmet_cam4.jpg

Here is my dad on his quad getting ready to tape me while I ride ahead:

helmet_cam1.jpg

I am working on the video now to see if anything is usable or not. But it was good for a laugh anyway. I better start saving up because it was way too heavy ... ha ha ha ...

That's awesome! 😢

Looks pretty sturdy too.. Duct tape ... such a great invention. 😢

haha noice. you wouldnt believe the things i put to gether with duck tape. very cool, does it work good other then its heavy?

If the field of view wasn't so narrow it'd be great. Not a bad result for 45 minutes time and 50 cents in parts. 😢

MXrider101: Actually, it worked really well ! It is heavy, but the budget was right 😢

Here is a sample: Todays Ride !

Which video codec do I need ?

alophind: I am not sure about the codec. It is just a basic mpg file so it should play in any media player ... as far as I know. If you have issues, let me know and I will look ino it.

Doesnt work on my work computer.

Ill check when I get back home , and also will use GSpot to see which codec used in this file...

Works fine on my system. Try downloading the mosr recent version of Windows Media Player.

HHCAM works fine. Nice video. Here are a couple of suggestions: I think it should be aimed a little higher (split the horizon) and leveled. Either it or your head was tilted to the right....

Flynall: Thanks for the suggestions. I got all carried away and made a few improvements on it last night after watching the footage. Seeing as how that was my first attempt and no real testing, I think it will work much better this next time out. Here are some more pics with "upgrades" 😢

1) added more rubber closures (total of 4 now):

helmet_cam5.jpg

2) added a flap for easy on/off/record access:

helmet_cam6.jpg

3) completely lined interior with duct tape:

helmet_cam7.jpg

4) repositioned so that it aims higher:

helmet_cam8.jpg

I am hoping it works a little better this time. At any rate, it is better then nothing !

Will that tape mess up your helmet when it comes time to take it off?

With a hot air gun and some citruis juice (Martha Stewart gave me this tip) you can take any adhesive off anything without leaving a mark, even two stickers stuck together.

He also said he's using an extra helmet, so he probably doesn't mind much.

motoracer1486: Actually, it is a spare helmet I had that I bought at a garage sale for like $25.00. Also, the tape has been on and off about 10 times and it is still shiny and perfect. No problems in that area what so ever, but I would not put it on my regular riding helmet !!

But your from Dayton Ohio How's that a Hillbilly cam?

I real Hillbilly would have used a VHS camcorder. 😢 and lots of bailing twine and chicken wire to hold it on with. I can tell y'all are a little more advanced than us.

But your from Dayton Ohio How's that a Hillbilly cam?

I real Hillbilly would have used a VHS camcorder. 😢 and lots of bailing twine and chicken wire to hold it on with. I can tell y'all are a little more advanced than us.

HA HA HA !! That is hilarious !! I suppose I should rename the post: "semi-hillbilly helmet cam" 😢

You didn't patent that idea did you, cause I'm gonna steal it.

Nice trails too.

You didn't patent that idea did you, cause I'm gonna steal it.

Nice trails too.

Certainly not ... It is evidence of a mispent youth ! Feel free to use mine as a guide and update this thread with pics of yours and any upgrades.

Have fun & ride safe !