Sign in to follow this  

General Question

All:

To date I have primarily ridden 2 strokes and am currently considering purchasing my first 4 stroke/Thumper bike. I would appreciate any feedback positive or negative regarding the available models? Based on my current research I am leaning toward the YZ450F or the WR450F.

Thanks

😢😢😢

give us more info on what your planning on doing with the bike is it for road and dirt, just road,just dirt????? Also what age,size,height and weight are you? also what experiance do you have on bikes? what was your previous bikes? All these things are a factor in choosing the right bike. Sorry i couldn't give u a make/model that it seems your looking for but with out any background on you i will be doing nothing more than picking a bike out from a hat 😢

Your age?

If young and planning to progress to a competitive rider I would say wrong move, you need to be competitive on a small two stroke first. What that does is motivate you to maintain corner speed, then when you move to bigger bikes later you will be better for it.

If your older, more passive, or have no interest in competing then 4 stroke is is the way to go.

The difference is a low power bike such as a 125 2 stroke forces you to maintian momentum.

And your adreniline level is triggered by the engine, what we farsly call "revs" the reason I say falsly is you do not hear or feel the crank turning, you hear exhaust pulses, two stroke pulses every turn of the crank, 4 stroke every other turn, thus you hear twice as many pulses on the 2 stroke thus your adreniline is twice as pumped up on the 2 stroke.

Myself, 60 and was a competitor years ago I switched to 4 stroke to not get me pumped up as my body could not deal with the healing from a crash and on two strokes I would get pumped up and have to pass that squid in front of me, space to do so or not.

Sorry about the sparse bio info. I have been riding for 25+ years and for the last 5-10 years have riding a KX250. I am currently 35, 5'6", 185 lbs. (Don't let the height/Weight fool you HA HA HA). Anyway I was considering the 4 stroke due in large part to the advancements in technology, performance and all around user friendliness. I was considering a new KX250 or 500 but with all the riding restrictions on the horizon a 4 stroke has allot of appeal.

I would put my abilities at intermediate/semi-aggressive. I'm not sure if I would ever compete on the bike outside of my buddies and/or riding group. I do plan on keeping my kx250 for the occasional 2 stroke punch.

Thanks

Get a Husqvarna, without a doubt they are the best available in the US for 2005. Same $, lots better ride.

well i along with quite a lot of other guys here would recomend the DRZ it comes in 2 flavours the E and the S model, s being the dualsport that has all the lights and rest of the stuff for road, a few mods on it and it is ready to do some serious off road work namely the tyres and gearing is too tall on it. The E ont the other hand is pretty much ready to go, there are lots of mods to be had if you want to squeeze out any extra horses.

Go check out the DRZ400 forum it is by far and away the busiest on this site and IMHO with good reason. I am not biased because i have a DRZ i got a DRZ after doing my homework and decided it was the best bike for me 😢

The Yz450 Is The Best Bike Ive Ever Riden And I Love Mine!

Tons Of Power And Handles Great Easy To Start Which Is A Big Thing In Four Strokes The Only Thing That Sucks Is The Blue Plastic It Gets The White Marks On It Pretty Fast

Get the YZF, if your a more aggressive rider you'll appreciate the stiffer suspension.

the guy who told u to get the husky apparently hasn't ridden a real bike yet. The yz will suit you fine for both track and trails but it will be a little more aggressive than the wr (because it's a mx bike). The wr won't do very well at the track. Take your pick.

calidunes, Hey hoser, the Husky is for real. Obviously you haven't checked one out or you wouldn't have posted what you did. In my opinion, they make the Jap stuff look second rate. Check them out before you talk.