Sign in to follow this  

Why don't you use a local dealer?

We are buying two new RMZ's this year and they won't be a my local shop, 2 miles away, even though they sell the big 5. The reason: They want retail price, plus tax and set up fees and they stock no parts and give no discounts. I know you are saying that I should support my local dealer, but over the years, I have found it faster to order the parts from a dealer that has them in stock and can ship them to my door. I have found that many racers do not buy from them. They are missing a huge market, but they do sell bikes--to somebody. Last Christmas, I was in there getting a tee shirt and a guy just paid $2,500 for a CR 80 and they wouldn't give him a dag gone cross bar pad!! I'm all for supporting the local dealers and don't mind putting a few hundred extra in their pocket, but it works both ways.

Just a thought

I agree completely, it is a free market and if they can't match a price offered by some one else then they don't get the business as simple as that. Support the local dealer if all things are equal or they go out of their way to be helpful if not, go get the best deal you can 😢

I will always get my bikes out of state, no sales tax, but buy parts and such at the local dealer.

"I know you are saying that I should support my local dealer, "

You won't hear me say that. The best experience I ever had buying a new bike was from Honda of Troy ('02 CRF450). As mentioned, no tax, no prep, only a $30 document fee and around $225 to ship it. Man, it was like opening up the best Christmas present in my life. 😢

Maybe it's the shops around here but they rarely get my business on parts either. Why would I want to pay full retail when I can get around 25% off at Service Honda online? Also, like you mentioned, they actually have the parts versus ordering it at a local dealer and waiting for them to call. "No sir, it hasn't came in yet but we should have it in a week or two." Screw that! 😢 It's like they go out of their way not to get your business.

I support my wallet, and I buy from who ever is giving me the best price and the last 7 motorcycles I have bought have all been bought out of state. I use to go to the dealer and tell them the price I can get somewhere else and they would not believe me and then try and discourage me form buying out of state because of warranty issues.

I am lucky to have 3 Suzuki dealers within 30 miles and I use it to my advantage with a little persistance I purchased the kids christmas present a new DRZ110 which listed to $1699, for $1500 and they threw in a hlemet.

Boought a new left over 03 DRZ400S this spring for $4850 with a new helmet.

Bought a couple of new quads this year and have had similar results.

Dont be afraid to haggle, tell the dealer about the other deals you found at other dealers and 90% of the time they will beat it. 😢

Well that makes me feel better at least. I would really like to support the local dealer, but I can't justify paying over $1,000 more for the same bikes and get no breaks on parts and then order everything anyway. I know the mark up in off road bikes isn't as much as street bikes, but street bikers don't come back and buy gear, parts and accessories on a regular basis, plus they don't buy new bikes every year or so. I think alot of dealers are short sighted on this and only look at the initial sale. I mean how much money would a dealer make in five years if I bought three or four bikes, plus gear and parts? I guarantee it would be worth it for the dealer. For now I'll shop elsewhere and wait for the UPS man.

Most local dealers here will deal with you a little but then they throw in a $95.00 documentation fee. They will not wave that fee ever. I was going to buy an XR250 for my wife and told the dealer I would take the bike if he did not charge me the $95.00 doc fee but he wouldn't budge. I did not buy the bike. Some dealers here will give you a discount on parts/accessories with the purchase of a bike. Some dealers only give the discount at the time of the bike purchase but some will give you a discount for up to a year after you buy your bike.

I don't like going to the Honda dealer closest to us because I don't like dealing with the employees. They have ZERO personality. Another Honda dealer is only about 20 minutes from my work, but they're moving about an hour away after Christmas. Sucks, cuz they are wonderful to deal with. That puts two of my favorite dealers 30 min-1 hour from my work and home. I'll make the drive instead of going to the one on the way to work.

Sorry you feel that way I bought four new bikes this year at 3 different dealers and all of them gave me between 15% and 25% off all parts and accessories.

I even bought a complete FMF exhaust off of one dealer because they even beat rocky mountains price by $10 and I didnt have to pay shipping.

And it makes you feel comfortable when the dealers around here call you by your first name when you walk into their shop.

Had one warranty part go bad and I went to the closest dealer (didnt even buy the bike there), they ordered the part and when it came in the service department did not even have time to install it for 3 weeks, so they just gave me the part and I changed it and returned the defective part.

I must be the fortunate one either that or I have three excellent dealers competing for my money.

Haggle with the dealer and come right out and say that they are asking way too much for the bike and if they wont lower their price than you will have to take your business elsewhere, usually they will match any competators price.

i would not buy a cotter pin from my local dealer.

i have never been to any store or business that

treats customers as poorly as these idiots. when there

are only 2 Honda dealers on the island, their approach

to sales are you have no choice-we are the only people

that sell Honda's, and you have to buy it form one of us.

prices are "creative" to say the least. 😢😢😢

dealer prices do suck...maybe this will help you from having to buy, drive/ship your new bike outta state to save on sales tax.

one trick my buddy taught me: tell the dealer you are using the bike as a farm vehicle. works better for quads, but most "rural" dealers wont blink at a new CR250 being used as a farm vehicle (he pulled this off at an arkansas honda shoppe)...probly tougher to pull this off in LA or Chicago.

I have heard horror stories from just about every segment of motorsports about dealing with dealers. But I fortunately have forged a good relationship with my local shop and they treat me VERY well. Therefore I take most of my business to them. I have personally dealt with stealerships that I would not walk accross the street to piss on their building if it was on fire. So I can completely understand where everyone is coming from. For smaller communities, such as mine, I do believe that it is important to help out the little guy. But not to the point of paying 50% more for the same part\bike that you can buy elsewhere. A good dealer will recognize the guy who is serious about riding and know that they will be back for maintenance and mods for their bikes. Many big dealers could care less about these things but these are what make the smaller guys money.

Once upon a time, there were no such thing as combo dealerships. Each dealership sold only one brand and always had parts on hand. Now, combo dealerships are the norm. In fact, both of my larger area dealerships are primarily Harley shops with some Japanese brands thrown in. Very rarily can I walk in and get a part WITHOUT it having to be ordered. While I fully understand these dealerships need to make a profit to stay in business, If I can get it mail order (with shipping costs included) cheaper than I can get it locally (including my racer discount) I'm going mail order most of the time. I will pay a little more for convienece, but they better have it in stock. JMHO