Sign in to follow this  

Valve clearance question???????

Before I go and adjust things that dont need adjusting, I will get the opinion of my fellow TTers.

I have an 05' X and put in a JD Jet kit to get rid of a 1/8 to 1/4 throttle bog. While I had the bike apart I decided to check the valves. The left intake was .005 (in spec) and the right was .025. The exhaust valves were .11 (in spec). Why is the right out of spec and should I reshim it. 😢

BTW: if you remove the top motor mount (3 bolts) you can access the top of the carb and rotate it much further to replace the main and pilot jets and the needle. 😢

I have opened the airbox, removed the screen and installed the blue needle 4th clip and 165 main with the 40 slow jet. 0 to 1000 feet and 50 degrees lately. Anyone had any luck with this setup?

It seems kinda wierd the valve clearance opened up. Usually a valve will get tight, maybe set wrong from factory. How many hours/ miles? I also have the JD kit with the opened airbox & drilled exhaust baffle, about 40 degrees 1000ft, 42 pilot, blue needle 4th groove, 158 main. Rode for about 15-20 technical miles and it ran so much better the stock. Corners where I would have been feathering the clutch like crazy in 2 gear it now just rips without the clutch. Bog is gone and starts up cold so much easier.

Maybe I read the feeler gauge wrong...I'm new to checking valves...it was tight, but I remember .025. 😢 maybe .0025????

I have about 200 miles on it including a Hare Scramble.

Heckler, What makes you say that? Wont shimming it fix it. 😢 And what is involved in a valve job.

BTW, thanks for posting the How To section. It was great to have that as a reference while I was working on it.

My left intake was at 0.0035 at 100 miles. I didn't check it before I rode because of several factors, so I'm chalking it up to being tight from the factory. I've read of at least a few people checking before the first ride and finding them tight. Reshim and you'll probably be OK for quite a while.

Where is the best place to get shims? Honda is expensive!

You can get shim packages from HotCams. I believe the shims are 7.48 mm diameter, but you'd better check. Looks like a good deal: shims between 1.80 - 2.05 mm diameter in 0.05 mm increments, five shims of each size for $35. Other thickness ranges available.

I ordered the HotCams valve shim kit with part#HCSHIM01 , three shims in each size. Will it fit my Honda CRF250 or did I order wrong? 😢

Well, if is really at .0025 it has moved quite a bit, and once they start moving they usually dont stop. .0025 is pretty close to closed...

Heckler, What makes you say that? Wont shimming it fix it. 😢 And what is involved in a valve job.

BTW, thanks for posting the How To section. It was great to have that as a reference while I was working on it.

Well, if is really at .0025 it has moved quite a bit, and once they start moving they usually dont stop. .0025 is pretty close to closed...

Unless it wasn't correct from the factory. That's why you always check them after break-in. Mine was .003 from the factory after break-in.

You actually ride your Hyundai. It hasn't blown up yet? Hmmmm???