Sign in to follow this  

Maxxcross Desert IT, any good ?

From their web site:

"The Maxxcross Desert IT is the latest addition to Maxxis’ off-road motorcycle tire line. Specially designed compound increases durability in rocky or desert conditions by reducing chipping and cutting.ipping and cutting."

Has anyone tried this one ? Am I correct in speculating that it will last longer in the asphalt than an ordinary off-road tyre ? I use my drz for both commuting and recreation and I am constantly looking for a knoby tyre that will last longer on the roads. Should I give this one a try ?

Dimitris

I have been running the Maxxis IT and Desert IT for years now and I really like them. They work well everywhere and that includes on pavement. My buddy and I blasted up Sherman Pass Road after a ride and we scuffed the knobs all the way to the outside edge :ride: and they never felt squirrely and we always felt in control.

Try em, you'll like em! 👍

Both are good tires. Long life, great traction. The regular IT does just fine. I suppose you could spend the extra dough on the Desert but, if you don't do a lot of rock-hopping and stump-jumping, there's no need for the Desert. The standard IT is plenty tough IMHO. Like Jeff says, "Try 'em, you'll like 'em!".

Once you go Maxxis, you'll never go back!

Dan

I did a fair amount of research to figure out what my next tire should be and decided on the Desert IT. I don't have it yet but I've read a lot of good things on this site about it.

When I bought my DRZ it had (still has) the regular IT tire on it and it had some chunks bitten out of the treads. The previous owner said he rode some rocky sections in the high desert and it really ate up the tires. Because of this I am going to try to Desert version and see how it does.

The rear is great, but the front washes out easily. I'm still figuring out what to try when the front finally wears out...

The desert IT has been a great tire for the rock and shale I ride on at my local area.. I will cut and de knob a Mitch S12 in a one or two rides there.. The Desert IT has worked much better in the rocks,, 5 or 6 rides before it's toast

The last tire on my 650r was a desert IT,It wore real good, The only thing is it's heavy and a SOB to mount!!!! It is stiff! It reminded me of the old goodyear eagle rim saver tires. Have someone with a tire machine mount it.

I have run both of the Maxxis IT tires on both my XR650R and my 525EXC. Since they are not street legal I don't run them on my DRZ400S.

The Desert IT is definately tougher than the IT. The knobs on the Desert seemed a bit shorter than the IT but did not chip as easy in the rocks. The desert we ride has lots of rocks. The Desert IT has less traction and control in loose gravel and sand than the IT. Both tires are durable with the Desert having the edge on durability.

I don't rate either tire the best in the traction department. Both will slide off the edges of ruts too easily but for the money they are good tires.

I like the Desert IT rear. I tried it first on a XR650R and it held up well. It is a good all around choice for a D/S if you aren't worried about DOD beaucracy. It is a little squirmish in soft loam and mud but on all other surfaces it rocks. It has great cornering attributes.

I don't rate either tire the best in the traction department. Both will slide off the edges of ruts too easily but for the money they are good tires.

So Old Man Time, give us your picks 👍 Lot's of tires are great when they're new (Dun Wop A Lops :ride: ) but aren't good for much else. The Maxxis seem to grip a long time, and hold up to East Tennessee mountains well.