Sign in to follow this  

Please help the newb! Honda vs. Suzuki

ok... the only dirt bike i have ever rode is a little 80cc honda. dirt biking is not going to be my life, my life is already taken by american cars. Im moving to San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach so im going to be doing alot of sand riding in the dunes and trails. since its government property i need a green sticker.... so my mind is set on 4 stroke. its between the honda XR 400 and the suzuki DRZ 400. $5400 Out the door on Both of the 2004's. I dont want to buy used because i want to start building my credit and finance.

Which is better? which is more reliable? what is better for what im looking to do with the bike? (Tons of sand riding, and trailing.... no racing) any input will help... i know NOTHING about dirt bikes.

CLIFFNOTES: Honda XR400vs. Suzuki DRZ400

I Think You Will Be Happier With The Dr. They Are Both Great Bikes But The Dr Is A Little More Updated. The Xr Is Old School Technology, Although Sometimes That Is What You Want. If It Were Me I Would Do The Dr. Has More Power And Better Suspension Imo.

Both awesome bikes. That being said the XR is more outadted like he said like it is still air cooled and still only has a kickstarter and just older technology all together. Both are bullet proof. The DRZ has a reliable electric start which at first I didn't like electric starts that much and prefered kick starters which you can also put on the DRZ but now I much prefer the electric start when you stall on a tight trail and are about to loose your balance if you have to kickstart it or situations like that. The DRZ also has a little more power like he said. I Would get the DRZ but both are great bikes.

Having owned both an XR (albeit a 2500 and currently own a DRZ, MXJunky would suggest the DRZ. Sure the XR is dated, but MXJunky would say it is more reliable, a simpler machine has less components to break. However, the DRZ will perform better. If your gonna be doing alot of sand riding, maybe you should consider an XR650!