Sign in to follow this  

in the rut or out

if there is a rut on a small hill climb should I go in it or out of it. the trail the rut is on is only 2 or 3ft wide and on one side there is a small cliff on other side steep hill with stream at bottom. the hill is also wet and has roots at bottom and a 10" deep rut about 10' long.

if it is that wide, i would stay in it. if its like 5 inches wide, it gets to be a pain so stay out of it...but if its big go in it

Deep and narrow, try to avoid. Wide - don't worry about it.

One key that helped me was not fighting too hard to stay out of a rut. When I realize that I am going to end up in the rut, I try to pick my moment so that it is a planned move. That helps me to not get thrown off or fight the front tire in the rut too much, which really kills your balance and momentum.

If it is only 4 inches wide and 10 inches deep try to stay out because it will be harder to control. If you cant stay out try not to turn sharp in the rut.

Remember to stand up. This way if the bike gets bonced around a little you will still be in control and moving forward.

If the odds are that you will end up in the rut anyway, go in the rut. One of the very few places that I sit is in deep, long narrow ruts. I'll go in the rut, sit and put my runners out on both sides and gas it. 10' is not a very long rut which may make it possible to stay on the pegs, throttle on with weight back until you are through the rut. Take every suggestion you get and give them all a try. I'd use the one that gets you through the fastest, without crashing, every time.

i've found that when ruts are unavoidable,that looking ahead of the wheel about 10-15' instead of right at it really helps(first instinct is to look down). imagine the tire through the rut instead of watching it. be one with the rut grasshopper!! 😢

I try to avoid ruts as you never know whether there is a root or hole at other end. Sometimes they are very deep. I zig zag across them . or run wide. 8 out of 10 times they are not a problem but those other 2 times are a pain. I sometimes crab through a rut I can't avoid with the rear wheel. Keeping the front wheel on the high side of the rut and rear wheel in the rut. This keeps the rear wheel from dropping all the way to the bottom of the rut and getting sucked down.

Cher'o,

Dwight