Sign in to follow this  

A little Jetting Interpretation help please wr250f

I own the 05 wr250f and I am comparing the jetting (looks to me to be the same carb's) to the previous years and it looks like the 2005's are lean on the high end. (???)

A friend of mine looked at the manuals and found there to be a significant difference from the '03 WR, and '05 WR is the main jet. The 05 wr seems to be quite a bit leaner with a 168 main jet, while the '03 WR was at 185, '03 WR non-US was at 172.

Any thoughts / opinions on this? Are the 05's really that lean on the top end? The carbs are the same, right? Is this why my 05 wr 250 has almost no RPM in 5th gear ?

I have not yet made the mods (going to start soon). I am also wondering if I make some of the free mods will it make the bike even leaner, since it appears to be much leaner than the previous years.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

I don't know the specifics on your model, but what is common with the Kehein FCR carbs when they get them set lean enough to be able to import them is a needle that has so little taper that it is blocking the main even when wide open. Example on a KTM 450 you can take the main out and it will run almost the same. So you may be experianing the same thing on your Blue bike. The needle taper is the heart of the engine and it was the wrong taper (for performance) that lead to the JD kit. I highly recomend that you get the kit, it will bring your bike to life.