Sign in to follow this  

400vs.450 How well will a 400 compete with the 450

Before I drop coin on 400 upgrades should I contemplate selling the bike I've had so much fun on and been so trouble free and get a 450 ? My gut tells me to keep what I got and try to gain abilitys to run with them and even pass them so at the end of the day knowing 50cc is insignificant when it comes to the performance of usuable HP.

Recently I just went from a 99 YZ400 to a 03 YZ450 and the best part about it was not so much the extra power that the 50cc gives you but the improved throttle response (no more bog), far better suspension, lighter weight and more bottom end. These are all things that the average rider will notice and will be able to use rather than an insignificant gain of a few hp at 8000rpm. Oh and no more starting drill!!

So IMO, I'd say upgrade rather than spend money on aftermarket parts and such.

I went from a Yz'd WR 400 to a CRF 450 and the difference is incredible (I also belive YZF450 would be the same)

Everything Smegol said.

Weight, Handling, Ergo's and power/torque.

Upgrade......without a doubt! You will immediately go faster, easier.

Good Luck

Mark

Your WR 400 was a great bike, the starting problems were solved with the 426 series, yet still no auto decompress and auto start. I had all bikes 400-426 and now own a 450. My 426 was YZ timed which produced more power (due to the higher compression ratio also) than the 450 in WR timing I own presently. The biggest gain on the 450 for me was not the e-start or the power (which isn´t noticebly more) yet the suspension, (both front and rear and perhaps part to the new frame ergonomics). Yamaha for 2005 has made no noticeble improvements and a few set-backs if you seek power. If I could find a WR426 in good form I would consider buying it, YZ time it with a YZ450 cam which will give you all of the benefits of the 450 engine (power auto decompress and more power) and with the economies I would invest in a suspension improvement (which you can transfer probably to your next bike thereafter or sell it) and you still have plenty of money left to invest in other things that makes driving (like a CR froint lining, steering stabalizer or other things in your life) more fun. That´s my piece of advice. Rotber

Thanks for the input, that was the feedback I was looking for. For now Ill keep my 400 for now and see how she feels after a suspension o'haul.The next time out riding I hope to find someone w/450 and let me try it out then I will know what Im missing out on. Thanks again