Sign in to follow this  

Husky will be my next bike. should I keep the DRZ

I have been riding bikes for the last six months and researching rides too. I'll save you the long story and just say I will be getting a new 05 husky TE-510 one day. I can't afford it yet...maybe in 6-8 months. I rode a TE-450 and I tell ya fellas it is the only bike that has that smooth power feeling like the DRZ out there. moree power then my 400 S but soulfull power while all the yamahas and KTMs and hondas have this complexx high compression putter feel. the husky felt like home to me.

My plan has been to keep my DRZ s model as my dual sport and my trusty back up. I am fully 98% dirt now. I find I don't really care for dual sport events - too much road. I do like my CA license very much and some of the areas I ride its nice to link up trails acroos some road.....but ya know what thos link ups are so few. I really dont need a dual sport license tag. its just not that important to me as I am all dirt rider. I would never put DOT tires on my DRZ again.

So my problem is I am ready for a DIRT bike, not the world's best dual sport. the DRZ S model is a compromise 80/20 bike as it has to be. I love that husky, but can't afford two bikes till next year when my car payment ends......... but why hold on to a HEavy dual sport if I will be riding the crap out of my new bike? the only reason left is to have two bikes so that i have a back up if the husky needs an extra repair that takes some days, then i have my trusty DRZ as back up. The thing is the DRZ is heavy. I'm ready for a lighter more all dirt bike.

hell bottom line I still owe $4500 on the DRZ as I buried some ride gear and suspension in the bank loan, and even with all the stuff I've added, at 6000 miles with lots of scratches , my 03 DR-Z400S probably wont sale for waht do ya think? 3500?

guess I'll keep it and turn my mind off for a year then I can buy the 06 husky next fall/winter and afford to set it up right with springs for me and a new tank and seat and rad guards and all that. If I buy it now and keep the DRZ I will be cash POOR for a year.

well this is the last comparison post for me I've found my new ride and it is gonna be Husqvarna. if you like a smooth positive power delivery ....ride a husky.! 😢

The Husky's are nice rides. My uncle has the 99 TE410 with the dual exhaust the only year that had that. That thing is pretty nice he liked my DRZ better as he said it felt light to him and it is odd having the kickstarter on the left side so he usually uses his right foot to start it while off the bike but the new ones have E-start. He has thought about selling his but doesn't ride it enough to really warrent a new bike and it isn't worth all that much anymore. Well not what he thinks it should be so he said he thought he would just keep it. I like that new TE450 a lot the only problem is there isn't a dealer in my state. He had one about an hour away where he used to live and it was a really good dealer also now he says the there is one in the next state down from theres but he said they had problems getting parts and seem to get wrong parts. That is the only reason I don't like them is that it is hard to get parts for them. You may be able to now but if you move you may not be able to like him. Honestly though if I have a dealer near I don't think I would let that stop me. I have though about selling my DRZ for a 2-stroke or then street bike but I don't think I could ever sell my DRZ. I may get another bike but I don't think I could ever get rid of the DRZ. I just bought a quad though lol that is my new purchase for when riding with quad friends.

Have you considered getting an DRZ E or a non-CA E and then transfering over all your after market stuff?

I don't know Bob, Euro bikes make me nervous. They cost alot in the parts department not to mention the parts are not as plentiful as the jap bikes.

I say ride the CRF450x and the WR450 and pick your poision. Or pray really hard for Suzuki to slap the 450 motor into an aluminum framed wide ratio off road monster. 😢

there is a solid good Husky dealer near me who comes recomended by other local husky owners. true without that local dealer then its just like a gas gas to me - a nice bike I won't own cause the local dealer deals in gas gas quads mostly.

about the parts issue......... the new huskys are holding up well. they do require regular valve inspection/adjustment. I remember like yesterday people telling me KTMs are expensive to repair and hard to get parts for, but look how many guys ride that orange thing. KTMs are everywhere. parts cant be that much of a pain.

so I wonder if parts are an issue or not with husky too. The dealer says he can get parts. maybe he is selling me, maybe not - but he has this good reputation in town, which like you said means alot. and the guys in the Husky forum are getting the parts they need from places, dealers and web sites.......so I discount the "parts are hard to get" bit.

I'm buying that bike. that is decided...... I should just wait till I got the cash.. hell I'm still a newbie. 6 more months doing the dirt on my proud DRZ S that I have rigged for 95% dirt will be just fine.

Sell the DRZ,,, your destioned to talk trash about it,, as you've convinced your self there is nothing better than a Husky. Ok,,As long as your riding.. no one really cares what you ride 😢 If you think the Husky is the right bike for you. Go for it 😢

Your never gona be happpy on the DRZ for your own reasons,, Get out of it now,, and go on your way 😢

I don't know Bob, Euro bikes make me nervous. They cost alot in the parts department not to mention the parts are not as plentiful as the jap bikes.

I say ride the CRF450x and the WR450 and pick your poision. Or pray really hard for Suzuki to slap the 450 motor into an aluminum framed wide ratio off road monster. 😢

I rode a 04 WRF 450 and a new 05 WRF too.....NO THANKS don't like em. The WRF has too peppery of a feel ,, the motor and bike ride like a young wine tastes. I rode some KTMs and liked em a little better. That 450X would have to be out for 8 months and I would have to hear not a word of CRF valve problems on that bike before I would even think about it. i have friends who have the 250 X and are on their 3rd set of valves and the damn bike just stops on a trail ride and get towed back to camp. no way on the 450X till it proves its a real Honda with real trail reliability.

watch the magazines. Husqvarna is back! these new bikes are damn good.

like I said I made my choice. just like when i picked my DR-Z400 S..... i knew it was the right bike for me...It was at the time and has been a awesome reliable fun machine that has takken me everywhere. I want more and i'm not spending any more hard cash on a bike that weighs 292 dry stock with less power the the Non Ca e...no no.... I'm movin on..

Bronco, I hope I made clear this is a personal choice. everyone makes their own. I'm not talkin trash about any bike especially mine. I'm just talking it out.......... hearin the different inputs.

I'm sure 3 years from now, I'lll probably be in a differnt place. anyway if this post sounds negative i dint mean it that way.

I like the new huskies a lot but Bob your crazy, as soon as you sell the drz your new Husky will break some small but critical part and you will be 6 months out ...no riding just you and your computer wishing you could still enjoy the trusty steed. 😢

Bob,, I say again,, If your riding,,, it's all good. 😢

I still say sell the DRZ,, you've said enough, to show you will not be happy with the DRZ. Not sure I understand your reasons , or agree with them,, But your position is clear.. You believe the DRZ not fitting to your needs.. So sell it, and buy a bike that makes you happy 😢 If that is a Husky..go for it.

Have you honestly ridden the Millienum 436 kit or the 440 kit. Do you have a Yosh Ti pipe on your bike? In other words have you used up the potential of the machine you own without harming it's reliability at all. How about Hotcams on both the intake and exhaust. You may just find the weapon you needed is already in your own garage. I'm strongly considering a 436 and a yosh ti pipe now for my 01 for the dirt. I just want torque so I'll have to read which one again for the motor. I do know it will make a mild mannered motor into a monster. prairiedawg 😢😢😢😢

My uncle has had a few problems with his husky like the water pump propeller went out and bolts kept falling out of the sprocket so he put red locktite on them all and they started breaking off but haven't done that recently and he has had a few other problems but not too many. His suspension isn't the best either but not that bad. I can't stand the bars but then again I can't really stand any stock bars that much on bikes they are as good as any other stock bars.

thanks guys. I've calmed down a bit since the rush to buy hit me yesterday. I'm keeping the Steed. in fact I'm heading out for another great ride day. 6000 miles allmost and counting of dirt fun over 14 months of DRZ ownership. Like I say DRZ...the R stands for reliability.

yes I have a full yosh pipe and the 3x3 air box mod plus dyno jet. the bike runs and rides great. My best bet is to keep it through 6 months of husky ownership. If it sits in unhappy thoughts land as bronco thinks it will due to my attidude about my new bike...well then I'll figure it out then.

yeah come on Suzuki...I want that new 450 wide ratio traill eating DRZ machine in my future too! 😢

thanks guys! keep ridin. happy holidays

imho your setting yourself up for a big disappointment bob.you are not the most confident mechanic around.that and a euro bike do not mix.

that being said,buy what you want and be happy.but keep what i said in the back of your mind when the husky is 6 months old.

As a former Husky owner, I can relate to what you speak. Huskys have a "something" about them that is cool. Be it exclusivity, euro parts and pieces, or whatever. Cool bike, big power, fun..........when it works.

Parts are a nightmare, needed often, and come on a slow boat from somewhere??????

If you are bored, try the 436 kit. Cheaper, faster, reliable, and "different". If it's boredome that has you in it's grip, and it's the DRZ that has you bored, then BORE me forever............. 😢

As a former Husky owner, I can relate to what you speak. Huskys have a "something" about them that is cool. Be it exclusivity, euro parts and pieces, or whatever. Cool bike, big power, fun..........when it works.

Parts are a nightmare, needed often, and come on a slow boat from somewhere??????

If you are bored, try the 436 kit. Cheaper, faster, reliable, and "different". If it's boredome that has you in it's grip, and it's the DRZ that has you bored, then BORE me forever............. 😢

😢 DRZ will stay DRZ...

Why Boring it ?! In the money you put into suspensions , boring , pipe , brakes etc... you can buy different bike...

And ASPENCOP129 - Answer PMs 😢

Bob,Bob,Bob.

I've been riding dirt bikes since 1972.I've owned 30 + different dirt bikes.

There is no one bike that does it all perfectly.There will always be a new bike out (every year) that will be lighter/faster than what your riding right now.

I say buy the Husky.You want it ,and that's what matters.Life is too short.Enjoy your self (dirt biking)while you can.

I could not own just one(or two) bikes.I'm seriously considering adding a forth(used)bike.Then i'll have a trail/dune trasher, a moto masher. a find the closest trails from my garage bike,and a long distance adventure bike.

😢 DRZ will stay DRZ...

Why Boring it ?! In the money you put into suspensions , boring , pipe , brakes etc... you can buy different bike...

And ASPENCOP129 - Answer PMs 😢

you have no room to talk alophind.your the guy thats obsessed with doing the yamaha tank conversion (or the rm air box,or supermoto or wich other whim of minute your on). 😢

I agree with Bronco and Burned 100%. Ride the bike that fits you. you have complained about your DRZ ever since you've started posting here. sell it, be happy with the husky because it's new and it "fits" you. don't hold onto the DRZ "just because".