Sign in to follow this  

Ist bike for a girl. CR80? 125L? or 225-230?

I borrowed a freinds 02 CR80 for my girl to ride cuz she out grew my loaner (LOL). The size fits her perfect, as well as the weight (she picked it up by herself all day). She is 5'-3" and 120#'s. She did real well for her first time on a real bike. (not the 50)

I dont think she utilized its full power today, but she liked the feel. She actually rode mine today aswell and liked it alot, but its way too heavy for her.

I also rode the 80 it hauls A$$, I had fun riding it, but i think it will get old quick. We dont MX. Just trail/Desert.

I also noticed the 1st gear is way to tall. It has no bottom end for slow controlled climbs. Adding a bigger sprocket in the back will help that, but further narrow the power band which is already too narrow. Hmm...

Ok Let me have it!

😢😢

Well if she's just starting out. It depends if you want a 2 stroke or a 4stroke.

I dont know that much about 2 strokes so i cant give my opinion.

But if she is just starting out riding you may want to consider a TTR.

4 stroke is much better for trails.you can ride slow at low rpm's or haul a$$ if you want to.Much more controlable power.I would suggest the ttr 125 or the crf-150.I think the ttr is lighter but i'm not sure.

You may also want to consider a CRF150 on an old XR100. I would definately steer away from the two stroke moto-x bikes. Funny thing is I know quite a few adults who have gotten hurt on them because they climbed on with the attitude that "it's just an 80 how fast can it be."

you should go towards the 4-strokes. Because if while riding a spark plug fouls or she needs to mix her own gas, she will not have a clue how. 4-strokes are alot more maintnence free. I have a klx/drz125l and i am 5'7" and 140lbs and i like it. Though the springs are a little soft. One thing to keep in mind is that the DRZ/KLX, TTR 125's have 7HP and the CRF150'S have 11HP I think.

^yes i have fouled a plug 15 miles back in the woods on my two stroke motocross bike. Its not much fun sitting there for an hour while someone goes and gets you a plug.

Based on her height, weight and what y'all intend to ride.....I too think the crf150 is a good choice. 😢

Thanks alot guys. I didnt know they made a CRF150. How long have they made that model? We are looking at something used in the $1500-$2000 range. I'm thinking in the 2002 year aswell.

Something like these with a CA Plate would be awsome.

I would consider the ttr125LE - the electric start is really nice. My daughters enjoy riding much more now - they don't get frustrated every time they kill the motor.

My daughters are tall, so they both ride the crf230 now. My youngest moved up as fast as she could (from a ttr125L) because she wanted the E-button.

Stay away from the two stroke if riding trails, I got stuck 3 times today on the trails on my CR85. The crf150 would be perfect for her height/weight. If you can't find a Crf in your price range then check into a TTR125L or maybe even an XR200.

I wouldn’t recommend getting a 80cc 2-stroke as the first bike for a girl.

My girlfriend (5’2’’ and 105 pounds) got a ’03 KX85 as her first bike. The bike is fine to ride around a flat paddock, but when she took it on trail rides the complete absence of any real usable torque made it damn hard to ride. On those 80cc 2-strokes you are either bogging down going nowhere, or up in the power band flying.

As with most girls she is slightly timid, so the no torque to explosive power band also scared the crap out of her.

After riding a TTR125 4 stroke she went and sold the KX.

I believe the TTR has 7 hp, the CRF150 has 9. After free mods, its around 9 and 11 or so. Even thats generous. The CRF's suspension is a LOT better then the TTR as well. And for someone who did well on an 80, the CRF would be the better choice. The TTR will get boring. The CR80 has around 18-19 hp.

My wife just got an 04 CRF230 and she loves it. It's a little tall for her.She can't put her feet flat on the ground so we are waiting to see if the suspension settles down any then we may try the seat foam thing or something. BTW she's about 5'5" tall so the 230 may be a little to tall for what your looking for.