Sign in to follow this  

UFO has plastic for '05 4 strokes

I just took a look at www.ufoplast.com and they have '05 plastic listed. I guess it's just a matter of time before Parts Unlimited has it(maybe before Husky has OEM) availible. I have UFO rear fender and side panels on '00 WR250 and they fit well. I also have rad shrouds, but have never used them. I thought I remembered a post saying UFO plastic didn't fit '04 4 strokes well, any comments? 😢

Norman

UFOs plastic for 04 are made for th 2strokes, but with small modifications they will fit the 4stokes also.

As they are in Italy could they be the OEM supplier? I know Norman told me a few days ago that he had seen Acerbis name on Husky parts but the stuff that shattered on my 05 is an embaresment to whoever made it. That said I would ride it if the plastic broke every time out as the rest of the bike is so far superior to the KTM its not even in the same zone!

I doubt the OEM is UFO. Husky usually has a proprietary arrangement with suppliers not to supply the aftermarket so we have to buy OEM spares. Hopefully the UFO will be a better quality alternative to the poor OEM stuff.

David any pics of how bad this stuff shatters?

Norman

After unloading from the truck in the AM maybe 20F. I reached over the seat with my right hand, left side plate against my thigh to lift the back of the bike. The left number plate cracked like glass right above the kick stand tip.

Later (after some awesome riding I might add) I found a patch of damp & shaddy stuff that was icy and low sided on my left. The front was steered left so the front of the fender was making like a scoop, breaking it is not a suprise but, of the front fender there was nothing over two square inches and they where splinters, maybe 1/2 wide 3 to 4 long, tapered, not unlike breaking glass, not even anything to pickup but the fender brace which I only brought to save the 2 screws.

The fender brace broke straight across just in front of the "T" clamp, more as one would expect.

The left side panel over the tank broke off where it stick out forward of the tank, again maybe justified, frozen gound was about as forgiving as asphalt but not as smooth.

The side panel that broke when I pulled it against my leg is just junk material.

The fender was given the most brutal test I can think of but still just plain junk, the other two pieces I would have trashed even if better stuff. The rest of the bike, Wow, I really feal sorry for all those guys with Orange bikes!

This is astounding to me. When it was new I bounced my TE510 off a tree and ended up tumbling down an embankment, When I got my wind back the left rad shroud was folded back against the tank and the tip of the front fender had rolled 180. All I could think was that I had wrecked all the plastic in the first week of riding. When I picked up the bike everythig popped back into the correct place and didn't even cause a stretch mark. Yes it was about 50F out but still. Geez. What's up wiith the 05 plastics? That said I think I'll buy a set of the new plastics and update the 04 😢

Have not had the op to through my 05 510 down the road yet, but did it to my 04 450 and the onlt plastic i broke was when the right side side cover got hooked in the top of my boot and i gave it a big yank to get it free before face planting and broke it. 😢 so will be interested in how the new ones hold up

my 05 TE450 plastic is much more britle then my 04 TE250 plastic (which was the usual more pliable dirtbike plastic).

William

Santa Cruz, Ca

Yep, seems the 05's come with plastiglass. That sux. The 04 and older are durable as my friend with the 7000 mile WR250 can attest, he hucks his bike on the ground almost every ride. Sometimes twice or more 😢

o.k. back to the subject.

Here is what Tucker Rocky has in stock for 00-04 TE/CR/WR UFO plastic:

front fender (11-6981) qty 10+

white side panels (11-6987) qty 6

They have had this stock forever. The '05 catalogue is not out yet, I'll let you know when I know what UFO will distibute through them.

Husqvarna has a OEM deal with Acerbis. It goes all the way back to the late 80’s with Cagiva. That’s one reason you’ll never see their product in the Acerbis catalog. Acerbis makes it and you can only buy it exclusively through a Husqvarna Dealer.

UFO is slated to do a knock-off, but I don’t know if it’s in production yet. And yes the New plastic is thinner, but that was only to save weight.

Anyone have any luck finding 05 (TE450) plastic?

any leeds with UFO?

Thanks,

William

Mine is still sitting there being harassed by my KTM friends. The word continues to be "No 05 plastic in US". Larry Ferrachi/importer says right after the first of the year he will open some crates and take plastic off some new bikes to take care of a few of us. In the mean time I have adopted a Suzuiki front fender.

Well i have snapped the right hand side plate with my boot and no 05 plastics in oz yet, so off to the plastic welder tomorrow to see what he can do 😢