Sign in to follow this  

the WORST part about a new bike

i have n3v3r bought a new NEW bike. this spring i am going to use my tax return as a hefty chunk on some new or used 4 stroke stallion. so my question is this: when buying a NEW bike from a dealer, how much room is there for negotiating the price? i would tend to think that dealers who move a lot of product (aka in larger cities) would be a little more flexible than smaller dealers who are more "hungry."

and i assume that there is virtually no negotiating the price a used bike at a dealer, not that i think used from the dealer is the way to go.

what is the best way to buy? finance and pay ~$50 a month (with intent to sell the bike in a few seasons to have someone else tackle the payments) or just plunk down the whole amount?

can the more experienced dogs help a young pup out pleaz

ps-i am going to buy an XR400 (2000-2004) this spring no matter what! if you got one to sell, PM the Surfer now!

Just a word to the wise. Even selling bikes at full retail a dealer is not making a huge chunk of change. Where they make their money is maintenance, repairs, gear and financing, etc. This is the way a friend of mine that works at a dealership explained to me anyway.

But if you find a leftover that is costing the dealer money you probably have some negotiating room.

The dealer has much more room to work with on the used bikes since the give next to nothing for them on trade in. The mark up on a used bike is much more percentage wise than a new bike. Sometimes you will come across a new bike that is not moving so well and the dealers have incentive to move them. This is how I got myself and many on this board picked up the 04 yz450. The dealers were all letting them go for 1200 - 1500 below MSRP because they were not selling well and Yamaha was offering a incentive.

Best deal is usually to plunk down the cash, especially if you have half or more, and finance the rest from the bank if you need to. If you can find a non-current year new bike, that is usually where the bargains are to be had. Also, call a few dealers. Before I got my KLX, I was seriously looking at the XR400, but couldn't find a decent used one. The new prices were everywhere from $6600 on down to $5000, for a left-over brand-new 2003 XR400.

the worst part of buying a "new" bike is riding it.

then it's not "new" anymore,and you've instantly dropped the value ( $ )

but then again , there's nothing like having a "new" bike.

i always take pictures of my new bikes before i ride them.the memmories last longer.

I found no bad parts of my new bike, it was all good just happy I got a new bike! Life is to short to worry about the bad part. 😢

Once I was told dealer price was about $4650 for an XR400.

Dealers need to eat too.

Also, that was back when the dollar was worth more than $0.75

Everything is more expensive in California.

Bikes seem to be cheaper in Texas, Colorado, Mississippi, Alabama... most other states.

I don't know if you can transfer payments on a dirt bike. I put dirt bikes intot the TOY category, not hard asset category.

Next year, any XR400 on the dealer floor is an older model. (no 2005) They should go for less.

Other motorcycles discount the price of XR400's more than anything. The old YZ400F gave the first discount. Then CRF450's, DRZ400's, now CRF250X's are the latest "I'd rather have this one". There is a CRF250X vs XR400 comparison in the XR400 forum.

Craigslist.com, ThumperTalk.com and CycleTrader should have long lists of nearly new XR400's for sale.

XR400's are great at what they should be used for. Trail riding, dual-sporting, low-maintenance, fun, some times raced, easy to ride trail bikes.

If you really want a Honda XR400 I would suggest buy a used one and save some cash. XRs are extremely durable machines so there should be no worries with picking up a used one. Maybe look for one that is about a year old and you could save a thousand or more dollars. Expect to pay about $3500 to $4000.

the worst part of buying a new bike is the break in period. 1/4 throttle and 1/2 throttle and no WOT. boring.
😢

&%$#@! I would not buy a bike off anybody that broke it in that way. 😢

WOT and seat the rings, let it cool off and do it again. 😢

If you are going to buy new, go here-->INVOICE PRICES

to get the dealers invoice price. They charge $12 for the pricing report. Cars and trucks are easier, edmunds.com has them for free.

Motorcycle invoice prices are usually 15% to 20% below the MSRP. But if a 2004 XR 400 is still sitting on the dealers floor they may have some incentives from Honda to move them. The few dirt bikes I have bought new I was happy to get out the door (taxes/prep included) for at or less than MSRP. That way the dealer is still making a few bucks and I got a decent deal.

Watch out for the "dealer prep" charges though. In Sept when I bought my DRZ a local dealer was advertising $4799 when the MSRP was $5495, but wanted add over $300 for freight & prep. On a dirt bike it doesn't take much to put the handlebars and front wheel on.

For a used bike go toKelly Blue Book to get average used trade in and retail (buying from a dealer) price to see the huge gap between the two.

For financing, thats up to you. Read the fine print if you finance at a dealer, some have loan rates above 20%. Better off using a credit card. If I was looking for an XR400 I would pay cash for a clean used one.

If your gonna buy a bike cash, DO NOT LET THE DEALER KNOW IN MAKING THE DEAL!! They want you too finance, they make money from the finance company.. Either way, they get their money.. When i bought my kx250, the dealer set me up w/15% off on parts and accessories, last week went and bought a crf50 for my niece and i know get 10% off, adds up overtime..

Rick

ps-i am going to buy an XR400 (2000-2004) this spring no matter what! if you got one to sell, PM the Surfer now!

I can't see any case for buying a new xr400. They are excellent bikes and I will always own and XR. But they have not been updated in years. IMHO there is absolutely no benefit to buying new when there are so many around on the used market in great shape. Look around and I'm sure you can find a late model xr400 in near new condition for about $3.5-$4k. Most also have all the basic updates and goodies already on the bike.

😢

&%$#@! I would not buy a bike off anybody that broke it in that way. 😢

WOT and seat the rings, let it cool off and do it again. 😢

and i would never buy a bike from you! the rings will seat if the hone on the cyl. is properly cross hatched. and you are right about letting engine cool...but there are a lot of other moving parts in an engine that do require some break in period.

even on a used bike that has only had a new topend put in, i have never heard about your WOT break in period

maybe you could share of your break in philosophy 😢😢

and i would never buy a bike from you! the rings will seat if the hone on the cyl. is properly cross hatched. and you are right about letting engine cool...but there are a lot of other moving parts in an engine that do require some break in period.

even on a used bike that has only had a new topend put in, i have never heard about your WOT break in period

maybe you could share of your break in philosophy 😢😢

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

There's the philosophy. Give her the spurs, no synthetics, change your oil, vary the throttle, and complete heat cycles. I think the manufacturer's 1/4 and 1/2 throttle crap is there so they can make it out of the warranty period.

i have never heard about your WOT break in period
Yep some people swear by this!! I have also heard that you will sometimes "SOMETIME" get better longevity if you break a motor in how it is going to be used. I generally rely on a mix of the two schools of thought and have yet in many, many years of riding many different bikes had a problem. I have always thought that the manufacturers recommendations where a little to conservative.

the worst part of buying a new bike is the break in period. 1/4 throttle and 1/2 throttle and no WOT. boring.

Unless your me... I have have lots of new bikes and they all get rode like i stole it from the gitgo. No issues at all 😢

I actually think they "like" it. 😢

New bikes are where it's at! It's all about that new bike smell *sniff* mmmmm!

Seriously though, a used XR is probably gonna be good to go, XRs are bulletproof. The sweet thing about a new bike is you know that it's being properly taken care of.