Sign in to follow this  

for the Savvy dirt rider ONLY

it seems to me that everyone here has a *relatively* new bike collection. i feel very out of touch riding a '91. it just doesn't seem worth it to me to buy a bike, purchase outrageously expensive exhaust, bark busters, skid plates, clutch parafinallia, suspension ya da ya da ya da only to sell the bike a few years later and get virtually no return on your investment. are you guys rich/sponsored and have a 'win every race mentality?'

ps-i am going to buy an XR400 (2000-2004) this spring no matter what! if you got one to sell, PM the Surfer now!

Well, I've never been one to buy something only to sell it soon thereafter. My parents sold my first dirtbike (or maybe gave it) to a family friend, or I'd probably still have my little XR75 in the garage. Both my street bikes have over 80K miles on them, and they aren't going anywhere.

I bought my XR400 a few months ago and have, indeed spent a fair amount of cash on the items you mentioned (no suspension yet, still seeing how dialed in I can get stock). I will probably have the XR for a good 10 or more years though ...and most of the stuff I bought is either a necessity to keep the bike in one piece on the trail/in the desert or safety related.

...much better to spend $50 on a skid plate than have to find a new crank-case. And MUCH better to spend $45 on a good set of handguards than go the the ER with crushed digits!

...and dammit, I'm actually on a pretty tight budget! lol

I can only speak for myself here, but from the age of 12 (i'm 38 now), until 2 years ago, I had only ever had 2nd hand dirt bikes. Most of those were picked up cheap in run down shape, blown engines etc. I rebuilt them all, as I could afford to, depending on my finances at the time. In '02, I got a brand spankin' new WR426, firstly, because I was finally able to afford a new dirt bike, and also, I figured that more than likely it would probably be the last dirt bike I ever buy.

The only problem with buying older bikes is that you are generally buying yourself someone elses problems. Not that there are not good, clean, used examples out there, they are just not the norm. Generally people who go through the expense of buying an offroad bike is going to use it. And we all know that offroad bikes are built to take abuse but that is how they are used. And unfortunately not everyone takes care of their bikes like they should. Luckily the last two bikes I acquired used where in very good condition. I bought the 02 CR250 from a dealership and got a very good deal on it. Then I traded that for my 01 XR650R which looks and runs like it has been very well taken care of.

But generally unless it is a very good deal you are better off buying new.

Bro it's a passion. Instead of wasteing your money on other things people who love this sport work there arse off and enjoy every minute of it. If they cared how much an exhaust cost or any other part for that matter then they would not continue to do it for so many years. Don't feel bad rideing a 91. It's not about how fast you ride or what you ride. It is the feeling of being free and haveing an emmense amount of fun. I never looked at rideing as a competition I looked at it as being free.

Don't feel out of touch by riding a '91. I ride a 83 but I'm definitely getting a new bike soon. I think our KTM... As soon as I stop crashing 😢

I think 426 is typical of many who eat, drink, & breath off-roading. Why not spend the $$ to do what you love if you can afford it.

I bought a new XR400 because there are so few used bikes available, and because I just like nice stuff! Now I find myself wanting to make it as good as possible for the way I use it (dual sport). I'm sure you will enjoy your XR.

Don't feel bad driving an old machine. If it works for you, there is nothing wrong with that.

When I was looking for a replacement for my dying XR250, I came across a brand-new leftover 2003 XR400 at Hastings Honda, in Hastings Nebraska. Not sure where you are in MO, but I thought I'd mention it. Let me know if you want their #. They were willing to deal, but I didn't have the $$$ for it, so I went with a 2000 KLX 300 Kawasaki.

My last bike I had was a 91. I only had it for about a year before I sold it because It was too expensive to keep fixing. I stupidely 😢 bought the KX250 thinking it was a good deal, but as mentioned before, it was one of those bikes that was NOT take care of. It cost me about $2000 to fix up on top of the $900 I paid for it. Then after I got it almost in tip top shape I realized the shift shaft was worn down to almost nothing. Insead of splitting the cases I cut my losses and sold it. If It was not for the shift shaft wearing down, I would still be riding the bike today. Insead I found a 99 WR for $3000 that only had 20 hrs. on it. 😢 I plan on keeping this bike for a long time too.

Bro it's a passion. Instead of wasteing your money on other things people who love this sport work there arse off and enjoy every minute of it. If they cared how much an exhaust cost or any other part for that matter then they would not continue to do it for so many years. Don't feel bad rideing a 91. It's not about how fast you ride or what you ride. It is the feeling of being free and haveing an emmense amount of fun. I never looked at rideing as a competition I looked at it as being free.

awesome! i agree totally. if i didn't have to eat and pay off my chevy silverado...i'd have a KILLER bike collection.

i guess i have gotten to the point that i have sunk so much money into giving CPR into an old bike, that i just makles sense to transition to a new and larger bike.

hey silver

i wouldn't worry about the year. mine is a 98. the next one in line is an 82 and the rest are vintage and all in the 1970s and i ride and love everyone of them. in fact i'd rather be riding my 1972 bultaco then anything else i have. just ride it and spend lotsa money on it 😢 and have a good time. that's what it's all about. 😢

Kaos 😢

My "Z" was the first "new" bike I've ever owned. And even it had 300 miles on it. the dealership was using it as a demo. but because it hadn't been titled yet I still got a full factory warranty and crap.

I've had over a dozen bikes over the years and I either rode them till they died or until i Just couldn't find parts anymore. all except for what was in my garrage a few years ago. those I had to sell out of necessity. 😢

yeah i hear ya....why spend all that money?

some guys spend WAY to much ching on their 2 wheeled toys...

😢