Sign in to follow this  

reassembling the gas tank

why is it such a pain to reassemble the gas tank mounts? I have to do this everytime i look at the plug and it is getting frustrating to assemble those two screws every time. Is there a handy little trick to reassembling those two screws, or do i have to put up with the struggle of finding the perfect alignment?

You might try replacing the bolts with ones that have a taper on the end. Or you could just take the existing bolts and grind a taper on them so they would find their way into the hole easier. I haven't had too much of a problem with mine, but it's not the easiest thing to do.

The original tank mount bolts on my 2002 do have a tapered tip. Also, using a long T handle is the only way to do this. I am not sure this would work on the 03+ models because they changed the shrouds and I don't know if the "holes" in the shroud line up with the tank bolts. They do on the 01-02 models.

But then again, I do not have to remove the tank to change my plug. I know it is necessary on the WRFs with stock tank but it is not necessary on the YZFs or a WRF with a YZF tank.

I'm about to remove my tank for a rebuild. What is the problem that is at hand. Just asking to prepare myself for frustarions ahead....

there are two mounting bolts which attaches the tank to the frame. It's just hard to find the hole that the bolts pass through, i seem to search and search and keep on turning, but it doesn't catch the thread.

I'm about to remove my tank for a rebuild. What is the problem that is at hand. Just asking to prepare myself for frustarions ahead....

I'd like to know where I can get my tank rebuilt. Thanks.

dude it is not that hard. If you fine is so challenging stick and icepick in one side and screw the other bolt in. Not that hard do it all the time

I agree it's a pain in the ass trying to reinstall the tank bolts. I have an 2002 YZ250F, when I have to install the tank mounting bolts, I use a flashlite to look through the gas tank mounting holes to make sure I'm lined up with the mounting holes on the frame. Once I'm lined upped, I insert the tank mounting bolts, sometimes it requires me to hold the tank up slightly while installing the mounting bolts.

The original tank mount bolts on my 2002 do have a tapered tip. Also, using a long T handle is the only way to do this. I am not sure this would work on the 03+ models because they changed the shrouds and I don't know if the "holes" in the shroud line up with the tank bolts. They do on the 01-02 models.

The '01 and '03 bolts are like that too. Be sure you have the right ones, it makes it much easier. And the T-handle works on the '03 as well, at least on the YZF it does. Actually, I use a socket with an extension, but it's pretty much the same. Lining them up by sight as suggested works, as does the tip for using a taper punch, awl, or ice pick to line up one side while you start a bolt in the other. It's not so bad once you get it.

Use a flashlight to make sure the holes are aligned. Once there hold the tank with one hand, set the flashlight down and put the bolt in. No problem.