Sign in to follow this  

Painting calipers

My calipers are starting to look old and tired. Now I`ve spent $3600 on parts to make her into a Sm I don`t want corroded calipers to spoil the look. Can anyone recomend a way to either clean them up or paint them? Is it safe to remove the caliper to paint/clean her up?

My calipers are starting to look old and tired. Now I`ve spent $3600 on parts to make her into a Sm I don`t want corroded calipers to spoil the look. Can anyone recomend a way to either clean them up or paint them? Is it safe to remove the caliper to paint/clean her up?

Dude , No need...

In couple of days ALL your bike will look like the calipers :-D

Paint is an insulation,,and the last thing you want to do is insulate your brake caliper,It need to shed as much heat as possible,, do not screw that up by slathering on some paint 😢

If you must,, class bead or other type media blast the caliper,,, but beware,, I have seen more ruined Assembly's ($20 K motors) when blasting media got in to places it should not have,,or was simply not completely removed. So, plug every port, protect all machined surfaces and threads, The clean, pick, inspect (with a magnifying glass) for left over glass beads. ( I like walnut shells better for aluminum)

The car tuner folks use a paint specifically designed for calipers.

It comes it two cans, the paint and a hardener...

for example:

http://www.mgracing.an/caliperpaint.htm

They also put 1200 SQ IN wings on the back of Honda civics..

this is the performance group you want to use as an example 😢

😢😢😢

There may be some high tech coating out there that helps to radiate more heat then it reflects back in.. but I highly doubt that link you posted is it.. Them folks do more stuff for look, not go.. Some fast cars are built by that group,, no doubt,,, but it is the look most are after.

send them out to be annodized!!

Cast bits don't like to be anodized. The grain in the metal tends to show up and look kinda crappy.

For calipers, the best bet would be to spend a little time with some Scotch-brite, then follow it up with some Mother's Mag and Wheel aluminum polish.

You'll end up with more bling than you could shake a gold toof at.

Cast bits don't like to be anodized. The grain in the metal tends to show up and look kinda crappy.

For calipers, the best bet would be to spend a little time with some Scotch-brite, then follow it up with some Mother's Mag and Wheel aluminum polish.

You'll end up with more bling than you could shake a gold toof at.

😢😢😢 its amazing what a little elbow grease will do!