Sign in to follow this  

Question for Vet racers

I'm posting this info request in both 250 and 450 forums to get the best cross section of info to go on. Thanks for any input.

I am going to try and qualify for Lorettas this year in the older vet class. I currently ride an RM 250 2 stroke (which I have not yet re-adjusated to) and an 02 YZF 250. My regional is at Red Bud which is now a semi sand track, with elevation changes and it ruts up real bad. I am afraid my YZF will be underpowered, both by the track itself and the fact that most vets ride big thumers, so I decided I have two option if I want to race the 4 stroke:

Option #1 - Big bore the 250F. I have not yet gauged the expense or any reliabilty issues with this option, so I am in the dark about this option.

Option #2 - Purchase a YZ450F and re-adjust my riding style to handle the power and the torque of the big thumper.

If anyone here has been down this road, any insight would be greatly appreciated. My first area qualifying race is scheduled for the first of March, and it will be here before you know it.

Let me add that I am slightly over 6 feet and I weigh about 180 lbs, without gear on. Again, thanks for any info.

The 262 kit really snaps up the 250F from what I've seen. And there's your familiarity with the bike, and there's its weight. Have you checked laptimes of 250Fs vs. 250 2 strokes vs. 450s at Red Bud? Could provide a clue.

I personally would go with the 450, but I have a very old preference for 4 strokes.

My 250 2 stroke laps times are not good. I have not spent enough time on the bike to re-adjust to 2 strokeness......😢

I have often thought about having one of each like you do. I am just not sure that if I had both bikes, I would ride both of them.

I'd stick with the bike you are most comfortable on, tune it the best you can (262 may be for you ) and practice corners and whoops. Figure out where you can beat the bigger bikes on the track and use it to your advantage. Good luck!!!

Cant you sell the rm and get a 450 and see what its like. give it some time and then go rom there. Bikes can always be resold and if you dont even give it a chance you could be missing out. I would also think about selling the 250f for a much newer one at least '03. by then they lost about 12 pounds so your power to wieght ratio just jumped a good bit.

Just the vet class with a host of big thumpers on the gate. I know I can beat some of them, but I really have to ride hard to do it. Somtimes, there is just no replacement for displacement.....😢

Yes, I could sell the RM and get a 450 and see how I like it. The problem is that I really dont need two bikes, ( I would like two, but don't need two) and I would kind of like to know if I would actually ride it before I bought it. I knew from my first test ride on the 250F that I loved the bike. I still do.

With respect to trading in the 02 for a newer model. The extra weight of the 02 is not a big deal for me, and I have the strting drill pretty much down pat.

all about skill, not about the bike.

a couple of guys named Bob, Kent, Mark, Jeremy, Chad, Bubba and Ricky have shown that. to name a few.

granted, you'll probably loose the first turn drag race, but after that..........

so, like what has been said above, get on the bike you feel good on and practice, practice, practice.

oh, and test ride a 05yz450f!