Question for the Vet racers

I'm posting this info request in both 250 and 450 forums to get the best cross section of info to go on. Thanks for any input.

I am going to try and qualify for Lorettas this year in the older vet class. I currently ride an RM 250 2 stroke (which I have not yet re-adjusted to) and an 02 YZF 250. My regional is at Red Bud which is now a semi sand track, with elevation changes and it ruts up real bad. I am afraid my 250 YZF will be underpowered, both by the track itself and the fact that most vets ride big thumers, so I decided I have two option if I want to race the 4 stroke:

Option #1 - Big bore the 250F. I have not yet gauged the expense or any reliabilty issues with this option, so I am in the dark about this option.

Option #2 - Purchase a YZ450F and re-adjust my riding style to handle the power and the torque of the big thumper.

If anyone here has been down this road, any insight would be greatly appreciated. My first area qualifying race is scheduled for the first of March, and it will be here before you know it.

Let me add that I am slightly over 6 feet and I weigh about 180 lbs, without gear on. Again, thanks for any info.

There are difinately a few stretchs at Red Bud where the 450 comes in handy. I switched from a 250F to a 450F and it took me a little while to get comfortable but I would never go back to a 250F. The biggest thing for me was learing to roll the throttle on instead of whacking it. I am 5'9" about 180 lbs and 51 years old.

Thanks for the input. I do know a few older riders who went from 450 to 250F because it was too much power for them, but I do ride a little faste r than those guys do. Whatever I do, I gotta do it soon......lol

I found an 03 still in the crate at a local dealership, but I'm not sure if I want an 03 even if it is new.

yes I did, was very close to putting a thumperracing big bore kit in my 250f. Problem I was adjusting valve shims already. I thought this would make me do it more. From all the reading I've done the 426 and 450 do not have to adjust shims as often. These bikes are not rode on the top end (high revs)as much. I bought Garrett Bergs 426. Garrett and Motodad rode this bike HARD! I put the 450 cam in this bike. The stock shims where still in spec! This made me decide to buy a 450. It will just last longer.

I have both. I race my 250f with a 280 kit and hot cams. The bike rips. I use my 05 450f for training at this point, because the stop watch says I'm faster on the 250f. I won a GP at Gorman that had a lot of sand this year on it. So it goes through the sand very nice. The jump from 250 to a 280 with cams, powerbomb, twin air, and a few other items is pretty big. It fits nicely between the 250 and the 450.

The 450 is the best all around answer. It can easily be tamed/adjusted a little with pipe/gearing/flywheel weight changes. The biggest trick (as with any bike) is working with the suspension and getting the bike as easy to ride as possible. The other route (280 kitted 250) is expensive and still aint gonna get you to the first turn with the good starters on 450's.

RedBud is one of the few place's I can actually open 'er up for once. I have an '03 and had geared it down to 47 tooth. I was a little concerned it might not have the beans I needed for the Double Double in the flat,,,,,, Hah, even 47 gearing cleared with room to spare.

You will not regret a big bike at Redbud or Milleville.

(Byron, that's another story.)

Good luck. ?

It is going to be a tough decision to make. I really need the torque of the 450, but I have really gotten accustomed to the light weightness of the 250F. I have not put in enough laps on a 450 to get used to them, but I sure could tell a big difference in the effect of the compression braking. I'm sure I can adjust, it is just tough sometimes to leave that comfort zone.......?

I am avoiding the natural gravitation to the aluminunm framed YZ 250...........?

Keep your eye on KTM, they come out with lots of odd sized bikes to fill the niche markets. ?

I had one of the first pure racing KTM's in my area. I liked the bike and loved the quality of the bike, but when it came time for my rebuild, KTM gouged me real bad on parts. I swore after paying for the last parts order that I would never own another one. After the rebuild, I went to the blue baby thumper.

Put a big bore kit on your RM250 and you have the best of both worlds. That would be an awesome Vet class machine.

I'm afraid a big bore smoker would get me hurt. Occasionally, I like the flickability of the smoker, but most of the time, I prefer the predictability of the baby thumper. If I knew that putting a big bore kit on my 250YZF would not come back to haunt me six months from now, that is what I would do. As it is, I am left with trying to gather enough information to make a good decision. Even though trying to qualifiy for Lorettas is a goal, I realize that I will still have to ride the bike locally as well.