can't decide!!!

I want to get a MX bike but I don't want it to be high maintenance. I would prefer getting a four stroke since I came off of a XR250 and it would be hard getting use to a 2 smoke. But my cousin has a sweet 01 YZ125 that he will sell me for $1800-$2000. he bought it new in 03 and he hasn't rode it a whole lot. I know 2 stroke maintenance is a lot cheaper, and I will be spending all my money on a bike. should I just buy my cousin's bike and learn how to ride a 2 stroke, or should I take my chances with a YZ250F and pray nothing goes wrong with it???

if you can get a 250f then do it. 125s are gone...they dont sell for almost anything and the 250fs kill them. the yz250f is a very reliable bike i hear so it should keep you happy for a long time. even i am trying to go from a 250 2 stroke to a crf250. 250fs are awsome!

2 strokes are a lot easier to maintain your self. the week point on modern racing 4 strokes is the valve train. depending on your wrenching skilz, you'd be better off handing it over to a mechanic, then you'd better plan on spending some bank on your bike.

i've talked to a mechanic about this new breed of 4's...he said when you race, you will go through valves, its a part of life....no praying and hoping nothing breaks. but if you just trail ride, take it easy and dont rev, then you'll get some good valve life.

The Kawasaki is the fastest 250f???u must be on the crack pipe man. The YZ is by far the fastest and easily the best 250f ever. I also have a 01 yz 125 and I must say that they are a sweet bike but....When I jumped on a 03 250f I felt confidate and ready for anything. Man for real...get the 250f. The 250 Yami is ten times faster and better then that piece u were riding before. Trust me I know these things.

Depends on what 250F your talking about. If your getting the KX250F or RMZ250, maybe a set of Pro Circuit Works Radiators for $1,000...among other things. If your talking about the Honda CRF250R...maybe a cylinder skirt every so often and new valves.

If your talking about the YZ250F...maybe a new oil filter every few oil changes....?

-Doug

no im not going to be racing I just want something to ride around on my farm and take to the the MX track every so often. I guess I'll just look for a YZ250F. so how long could I keep a YZ250F, say an 03, before doing anything major to the engine?? and what would I need to do??

If your not worried about having the fastest bike, then why not go yz125? A buddy has an 02 yz125 and its a blast, nothing like a 2 stroke when it comes up on the pipe!

And quoting dirtrider mag, "250 four strokes should have valves checked every 10 hours and replaced every 25 hours" Thats racing bikes of course. Either way you'll probably be happy. good luck.

no im not going to be racing I just want something to ride around on my farm and take to the the MX track every so often. I guess I'll just look for a YZ250F. so how long could I keep a YZ250F, say an 03, before doing anything major to the engine?? and what would I need to do??

if this is your style, then i highly recommend sticking with the 2 stroke! i have a YZ125 that i use just as you describe. it is equally at home on the farm or the track. i think you'll find yourself biting off more than you can chew with a 250F. whats the point of having a bike that you cant maintain or pay to maintain. it would kill (? ) me to have a bike that i saved up for to ride a few times, only to have it sit there....imobile.

as for prices, call a local shoppe that you'd be taking the bike to and check their rates for parts and labor.

The bottom has fallen out of 2 stroke used bikes. You can get really good buys because of the influx of small thumpers on the scene. With a 125, at some point (depending on how often and hard you ride it) you will need to replace the top end. Pretty simple on a 125 ($100.00 bucks or so), and your mechanic skills can develop.

The modern 4 strokes require a watchful eye maintenance wise. I change the oil and check my filters weekly on my race bike. As was mentioned, the weak point of a 4 stroke is the valve train. If and this is a big if, a 4 stroke motor were to grenade (blow up), you could be talking about repair costs exceeding $2000.00 dollars, depending on the amount of damage. As an example, my YZ 250F has 5 valves. The valves alone are almost $100.00 a piece. That is not include valve seats, valve springs, keepers, valve guides, and a host of other parts that might get damaged if my engine were to blow. I'm not trying to scare you away from a 4 stroke, I'm only showing you another side of the 2 stroke verses four stroke equation. If I were a young fella who wanted a dirt bike to play with, and had to count pennies, I would pick me up a good used 125cc 2 stroke and a service manual for that bike. Later, if your finances allow it, then you can look into getting a thumper. By that time, you will have become a more experienced buyer and mechanic.