Sign in to follow this  

Teen First Bike / Evil Plan

I'm picking up a bike for my 5'5" 16 year-old to start out on. She's athletic and strong - but I don't want to scare her off. I've got my eyes on a couple of different used 4-strokes. An XR100 and a TTR125.

I fully expect her to outgrow this bike in the course of a next season and be ready to move up. My evil plan is for the bike she grows out of to become the next bike for my 5' 0" tall wife who has no experience, but I think will develop interest as my two girls - the youngest riding a 50 - get into the sport.

Is one of those bikes more suited than the other to fill this dual purpose / dual purpose role? Sitting on the XR100, it seems a little short for my daughter - but maybe too tall for my wife. Any experience with beginner riders this size would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Q

ttr-125l, my sister got it. But I did not like the way it acted in first gear. The power was very choppy and it jerked you around a lot.

XR100, no question. The starting drill will cause a bit of frustration at first.. Make sure it is jetted to perfection, new plug, with spares on hand. You start it for warm up.. then let them do the rest.

Bullet proof, nice size for a 5'5" new rider 😢

5'4" wife started on an XR100, one short ride, then went out and bought a CRF230 😢 Nothing better for a new rider then to have a light weight, smaller sized bike to start on. Yes the Xr is too small for 5'5" But it will carry her all day long,, And while learning,, falling, ect ect,, the small light weight will be a good thing.

XR100, no question. The starting drill will cause a bit of frustration at first.. Make sure it is jetted to perfection, new plug, with spares on hand. You start it for warm up.. then let them do the rest.

Bullet proof, nice size for a 5'5" new rider 😢

Thats to small for a 5'5 rider.

Thats to small for a 5'5 rider.

Not for one that has no experience,, and need to learn clutch, balance, starting, throttle control, braking, ect ect ect.

Yes,, it is too small overall and ability will quickly dictate a taller bike. But what other bike, available used, is light, new rider friendly, bullet proof, and has great resale value like the XR?

Maybe make a suggestion 😢 instead of just posting negatives? You do have a better suggestion right????

I just picked my girl up a ttr125le. She is 5'4". I was gonna go the crf100 route but it is just on the verge of being too little. She has never ridden anything other then a 50 for a little bit one time.

The thing you said about starting being frustrating...is the reason to get an electric start bike for a first bike for the girl and your wife will appreciate it too.

The TTR is not much bigger then the CRF, has bigger wheels for better stability, and has electric start...I think its the perfect beginner bike and thats why I bought it and im a hard core honda guy. If my girl out performs this bike (which I doubt) ...her next bike will be a CRF230.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced used one knowing full well your daughter will grow out of it quickly....get the XR100.

The suggestion about *you* doing the first morning start is good.

It just a great overall "beater" bike....will make a great pit bike should your wife just never be interested. I would go with the XR all the way.

Maybe you should let us know the price range of either bike you are looking at?

peace,

janette

Here's a thought from a 4'10" tall chick that started riding later in life... I think your evil plan is an awesome one and EITHER bike would be PERFECT for your intended purpose. Here are some further thoughts:

Starting out your daughter on something that she can most definitely get her feet down on is DEFINITELY the way to go. Sure, she'll be a little cramped on it, but the security of having her feet down will allow her the self-confidence to excel quickly. She'll grow out of it in no time I'm sure, but she'll have a ball beating up the little bike. Then it'll be nice and scratched up by the time your wife gets it, which is good because then your wife won't be afraid to drop it.

That being said, I've owned both of these bikes in the past and here is an opinion: I found the TTR to be an easier bike to ride because the suspension and ergos are just a little better for smaller people. Plus, I found that the couple more cc's of the TTR helped on hills and obstacles and such.

So here's my suggestion: If money is an issue, get an old used XR; they are cheap, sturdy, and easy to find since Honda has been making them forever. If money isn't an issue, get the TTR with electric start. Your daughter won't care about the electric start, but I am guessing that your wife will find it entirely important. Electric start may make the difference between your wife enjoying the sport, or not.

Q- You are awesome for wanting to share your sport with the women in your life!

I would go with the XR100 also. It would be a good "beater- learner" bike for her. If it is to tall for your wife when it is time for her to get it, there are a few things you could do to lower it for her. Shave the seat? Hope this helps.

"Electric start may make the difference between your wife [or daughter] enjoying the sport, or not."

this isnt aimed at your wife or daughter but society in general is so pussified these days that if its difficult to do...they wont do it. Neither of your choices should be hard to start but it could be that one time that its tough to start in an akward situation or after a fall that makes them quit...

Get whatever one is cheaper if they are both kickers...you cant go wrong.

Great input from everyone. I'm picking up the '01 XR100 for $1,000 as part of a package deal with two other bikes. If I want the TTR instead its going to set me back more like $1600 based on the prices I'm seeing.

I started on four strokes on an xr100. I'm 5'5" too. It fit my need....for a few rides, then I went to a crf230. We kept the 100 for my 10 year old to grow into. I rode that thing today.....felt unbelievably small, now. I think it's a good idea for your wife. Then she can get a 230. 😢

I have a 15 year old 5' 2" daughter and she is on an xr100r and it is perfect for her. Her 12 year old younger sister was 5' 5" and it was fine, but she is now on a xr200r and is wanting my DRZ400S (she is now 5' 7" and will be about 6' when done growing).

5' 5" is going to be a little big, if she is long legged, but not if she is long bodied. It will be fine to start out with, and if your plans are to get her a bigger bike later, it will work out just fine. THen your shorter wife will be able to keep the xr100 and it will work out fine. The xr100 has been know to have valve problems at higher RPM's, so teach them to keep the rpms down and to shift properly.

The xr should last forever with frequent oil changes and valve adjustments. Change your jetting on the xr and it will run much better also. If you buy an aftermarket pipe, make sure to change the jetting accordingly.

The 18yo 5'1" all of 92 pounds oldest daughter started out on the XR100 that belongs to her sister. Decided she wanted her own and has test drove the TTR125 and seems comfortable on it. I don't think she would have been had she not started on the XR. We had a friends CRF230 at her disposal when she was starting out and she was not at all comfortable with the height (which seemed small to me, but TALL for her). The XR gave her the ability to learn and feel secure prior to riding the 125.

I say get the XR100. To they guy saying electric start may make a difference if she likes the sport or not I'm not a girl but I will say I prefer a kick starter to the E-start. Especially the Yamaha ones if they are at all like the ones on the WR. The E-start is nice in the woods if you stall or something or crash in a spot where you can't get good balance so the E-start is nicer on bigger bikes but on a 100 or 125 you don't need an e-start and I would rather have the kickstarter. I find that the DRZ e-start is very reliable but you still have the battery to worry about dieing. The best thing I think is to get a bike with the e-start and kickstarter but not needed with a bike this small I would definately get the XR.