Sign in to follow this  

another dam oil??***

Hey all how is everyone today??

Anyway I have been running 20/50 weight in my bike since I bought it. I am getting ready to do an oil change today, my bike has less than 200 dirt miles on it and this is my third oil change. When I did my valve adjust yesterday every thing on top end looks to be well lubed, is there a reason I shouldnt use 20/50?? Should I go lighter? I plan to do some riding this winter and average temps here is about 45 degrees in winter.

I also would like to thank Bronco,Burned, and Noble for the info needed to do valve adjust, it went really well,bike started and idled smoothly. I am going to change oil today and take into the woods for a quick spin.

IMHO, and that of the builder of the bike,, 20w50 is to heavy a viscosity for your bike. More so in the winter I presume that is a petroleum oil? If so, at 45 deg,, it will barely pour from a container.... Not what you want in your motor.

I was using Castrol 10/40 Actevo, I think thats what it was called? In my KDX as gear oil, sounded strange for a 2 smoker but thats what it called for. I have 2 quarts of that left over, I quess I will use it, I knew I saved for some reason.

The tendency over the years is to use thinner oils. I used to use 20W50 in air cooed street bikes. In water cooled bikes I use 10W40. Once the oil is hot, 20W50 is thin and easy flowing but it is not necessary. Remember the 20W is flow at cold (start up) and the 50 is flow at operating temp. 50 at operating temp is a lot thinner than 20W at start up. 10W40 will make starting easier and is the recommended viscosity for your engine. That is what I would use.

thanks guys,I have only used the 20/50 so far in the summer months here, which are hot temps, sure am glad I asked the question though, because I would of put the 20/50 in.I am planning a ride in next couple weeks.

Although I do still have to warm motor to change oil, could this be a problem?? Still having 20/50 in it?

oh boy,not again with the engineer thing. 😢

I agree burned,I trust the people that have been through trial and error.How many of those engineers actual own a DRZ?? 😢

What type oil do you use, in your DRZ ?

Right now i have 5W40 in my bike. In the UK this time of year temps are in single digits centigrade, sorry not sure what that is in F but what ever it is that water freezes at 😢 Last ride out was in snow, so i was quite happy that i had the 5W40 in it

I agree burned,I trust the people that have been through trial and error.How many of those engineers actual own a DRZ?? 😢

What type oil do you use, in your DRZ ?

silkolene pro-4 15w50 changed every hard ride or 100 miles.but what i demand out of my bike isnt the same as most people.

There have been a couple of real gems on this topic,

oh boy,not again with the engineer thing. 😢

and another one...

"I agree burned,I trust the people that have been through trial and error.How many of those engineers actual own a DRZ?? "

Let's see, who to I trust here, the GUYS WHO DESIGNED MY BIKE or some "dudes" that regularly uses poor spelling and grammar? You guys trust trial and error over someone with AT LEAST six years of education beyond your own and who do this for a living in an engineering lab? (And I'm not an engineer.) 😢😢😢

I try to keep learning by making mistakes to a minimum. There isn't enough time or money to effectively use that technique.

and another one...

"I agree burned,I trust the people that have been through trial and error.How many of those engineers actual own a DRZ?? "

Let's see, who to I trust here, the GUYS WHO DESIGNED MY BIKE or some "dudes" that regularly uses poor spelling and grammar? You guys trust trial and error over someone with AT LEAST six years of education beyond your own and who do this for a living in an engineering lab? (And I'm not an engineer.) 😢😢😢

I try to keep learning by making mistakes to a minimum. There isn't enough time or money to effectively use that technique.

Ohh, Ok,, I understand now.

🤣😢

Tell ya what.... Why don't you stick around a bit,, do some research on the DRZ,, look back through 50 or 60 thousand posts, And learn something,, Something you will not find in your owners manual,, something the people with 6 more ears of education failed to properly design, or left out, or did not anticipate would be needed in real world use..

Better yet,, why not just sit back,, and learn something from current Post.

Welcome to ThumperTalk.... ,, If you came to enlighten us,, please feel free to start at any time,, thus far you have showed your self to be no smarter that the average Troll,,, but we look forward to you educating us. If you came here to learn ,,You show an interesting way of introducing your self to the group.

So

How long have you had your DRZ.. and what is it you wish to teach us about it 😢:D🤣

Schools in... Your audience awaits :D

😢

and another one...

Let's see, who to I trust here, the GUYS WHO DESIGNED MY BIKE or some "dudes" that regularly uses poor spelling and grammar? You guys trust trial and error over someone with AT LEAST six years of education beyond your own and who do this for a living in an engineering lab? (And I'm not an engineer.) 😢

Oh boy 😢

Either you are a young lad who has a lot to learn in life or you are a mature guy that failed to learn very much when you were younger.

Here is some free education for you tho, there are 2 guys on here that can pretty much give you an answer to any question that you care to post about a DRZ and they have both made posts on this thread. As you spend more time on here you will not need to even ask their names it will become blindingly obvious who they are 😢

Who would i trust if there was conflicting views? well i would trust either of the 2 "dudes" on here with out any hesitation at all over the "engineer"

oooh.you really told me. 😢

get a clue dude then come back and then you can talk to me about my grammar. 😢

Hmmm...Engineers are not GODS. Ever hear of vehicle recalls?? 😢

Go ahead and do exactly what the engineers say as far as oil is concerned on your bike. I prefer to get advice from people who actually RIDE (if not race) their bikes on a consistent basis (if not daily).

((Engineers are not GODS)))

Just a funny story,

But lets face it, with out the engineers to hypothisize and create these great devices, we wouldn't have it so nice.

However my brother is a mechanical engineer for many years in the aviation industry, he can create stuff out of thin air.

However he was attempting to change the oil in his car and wanted to lubricate the oring on the oil filter, he dumps so much oil it's running over the sides of the oil filter. I'm like dude, just stick your finger in the bottle , get a drop and put that little film around the oring.

That's all it takes!