Sign in to follow this  

weird noise

while i let my friend ride my bike i heard a weird sound coming from my chain. It sounded like it was rubbing on something. does that happen to anyone elses bike? thanks.

I had a problem with my chain on my '04 RMZ. the chain would make a binding up / rubbing sound after a hard day at the track. both times the chain had tightened up considerably, going from typical chain slack of 2" or so to super tight. I couldn't figure out what it was, until finally I made some changes to my axle blocks. I realized that my stock axle blocks had a ton of play in them (1-2mm gap). the torque of the motor would turn the axle slightly in the blocks, causing the chain to not have straight alignment and made an awful binding sound. its fixed now, I just can't believe that the stock axle blocks had that much play.

It could be rubbing on the chain guide, but that is pretty common to a certain extent. Check to make sure the chain guide isn't bent. Can you give us any more specifics?

If your chain is too loose it might be rubbing on the inside of the subframe. Mine was yesterday and as I would accelerate (while i rode around the car park for 20 seconds before tightening my chain) for a split second the chain would glance off the subframe.

I'm not really shure but I think that it goes away when going faster. But not to shure. what way were the axel blocks loose. front and back. Or up and down.

In hind site your chain is probably rubbing on the chain guard. We had just changed my rear tyre and the chain was ridiculously loose (it has to be to hit the subframe, unless the suspension is fully compressed on landing a jump).

If your chain guard isn’t bent and the chain slack is within the recommended range (2” – 2.3” off the top of my head) I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

my axle blocks were loose up and down. I've never had a bike that had so much play in the dropouts. when the axle is loose, I can move my axle blocks up and down about 2mm. thats enough to cause binding in the chain if the motor torque moves the wheel torsionally.

mine does the same thing and I have only rode it once down my road and back so there is no way anything is bent so I don't know what it is but it doesnt sound good.

Actually, if you look at the clearance you have between your chain and the metal case guard in front of your countershaft sprocket (..behind the hokey plastic cover), there's NO room for chain slop. It could just be rubbing on that. I know mine did that.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ w/ss valves (For Sale)