Sign in to follow this  

Ideas for adjusting carb

I have made some changes to the carb on my bike and am having a bit of trouble getting it running right on the bottom end.

DRZ400E 02

supertrapp IDS2 pipe

coast enricher removed

operate mostly around 300 ft msl

158 main

48 pilot

Pilot airscrew set at 7/8 open

Fuel screw set at 2 1/2 turns open

bike starts and warms up with choke out. When I push choke in it continues to run at high idle for about 10 sec. It then idles down and about 10 sec later shuts down.

It will restart with choke in and when I blip the throttle is stays at high idle again but then settles and will shut down.

Ideas wanted on how to tame the beast.

Thanks, Mike c

check for air leaks,plugged pilot jet,mistaken pilot jet size or mistake pilot air screw setting.

removed the CE?capped the holes?

I have made some changes to the carb on my bike and am having a bit of trouble getting it running right on the bottom end.

DRZ400E 02

supertrapp IDS2 pipe

coast enricher removed

operate mostly around 300 ft msl

158 main

48 pilot

Pilot airscrew set at 7/8 open

Fuel screw set at 2 1/2 turns open

bike starts and warms up with choke out. When I push choke in it continues to run at high idle for about 10 sec. It then idles down and about 10 sec later shuts down.

It will restart with choke in and when I blip the throttle is stays at high idle again but then settles and will shut down.

Ideas wanted on how to tame the beast.

Thanks, Mike c

48 pilot and 7/8 turn should give you rich idle. You describe lean symptoms. I would look for a problem as burned said. This is not just a jetting issue. Is the carb on (in the rubber boot) all the way?

I will go back and start over. I am going to blow out the jets and reinstall them and see what happens. When I pulled the coast enricher I sealed the connection with ATV sealer and a vacuum plug. I agree it sounds lean but if these things are all fine I am not sure where else to make an adjustment.

Mike c

I will go back and start over. I am going to blow out the jets and reinstall them and see what happens. When I pulled the coast enricher I sealed the connection with ATV sealer and a vacuum plug. I agree it sounds lean but if these things are all fine I am not sure where else to make an adjustment.

Mike c

When you removed the CE you had 3 nipples to plug. 1 on the head, 1 near the center of the carb and 1 close to where the air cleaner boot attaches. All 3 are important to seal. The center 1 is the most important that will affect idle. I think you are looking for "what did I do wrong". Normally for a 48 jet you would set the PAS at 1 turn. What is ATV sealer? Do you mean RTV? RTV is not for gasoline applications. Use tight fitting cap plugs.

I used RTV sealer. I will go back and correct that. At the same time ensure they are seal good. I thought they were good when I did them. I hope I made an error that resealing will correct.

Thanks