making the WR road capable?

I don't believe steady riding would cause any issues. Usually the dogs wear on the moving gears and thus throwing it out of speed (first simptom - starts with 5th gear).

Exactly what my 426 started doing recently, jumps out of 5th gear under acceleration. Gonna have to rip the whole engine apart to fix it.

Exactly what my 426 started doing recently, jumps out of 5th gear under acceleration. Gonna have to rip the whole engine apart to fix it.

Do a search on the forum, there were several threads about this.

The WR does not like long street rides.

Low oil capacity, non cushioned rear hub, no electric fan cooling for radiator at stop light conditions, carburation is not designed for steady throttle street type riding, rear and front brakes are weak for street application riding.

Gearing is too low for street riding even if you go 15/48 sprockets. The transmission gears are too light duty for street riding.

Oil changes are need frequently ( every 200 miles) as well as refreshing the oil in the air filter weekly.

I Don't under stand this statment I bought 07 wr450 since then i have put 5600 miles on it and just did my first valve adj i have had zero problems and i use a ridiculas gearing of 13/40 i weigh 220 carry a little over 25 pounds of gear and the only problem i have had is with the chain slider because of all the running at high speed say what you will but i think it a great adventure bike by the way on the road at 60mph i get 55 miles to the gallon with me and all my gear on

I Don't under stand this statment I bought 07 wr450 since then i have put 5600 miles on it and just did my first valve adj i have had zero problems and i use a ridiculas gearing of 13/40 i weigh 220 carry a little over 25 pounds of gear and the only problem i have had is with the chain slider because of all the running at high speed say what you will but i think it a great adventure bike by the way on the road at 60mph i get 55 miles to the gallon with me and all my gear on

The best way to fix the wear on the plastic chain slider is to run a bigger front sproket. Ill run up to a 16 t on the faster tracks. This keeps the chain away from the swingarm and the chain length and rear sprocket size can be left more standard as well!

• 3 weeks later...

I run a Karoo II it has lasted the best for me run 50 % off road but with the upgrades i have made i need some knobbies between me and the dirt i get 1800 miles from a tire by the way we ride with a supermoto guy and he goes place i wouldn't believe possible sand hills fast gravel road Hope that helps

• 4 weeks later...
Can any one confirm that a Keyed ignition switch off of a TTR-125 will work on a WR450? Is it a direct swap or is there cutting and splicing involved? I have read of people that have used them, just the details are missing.

I have exactly the same question.

Does it fit for a WR 450 08?

I search the forums and i'm not sure about that.

I want extra security for my bike. :banghead:

Just an FYI. I just bought a WR from a guy in MO where it was apparently inspected and deemed "street legal" after he had put a baja kit on it. I get to KS and go to have it inspected, and the lady at the highway patrol told me there was no way she would let it through because the manufacturer said it was "off-road only." Despite having a full street-legal kit on it. I'm a little frustrated to say the least as I just sold my dual sport BMW to get this and now am having all sorts of issues. I had to get it titled as off-road only thanks to her, but as soon as I get the title back I'm going to try a different highway patrol office. Any suggestions/tips on getting this pushed through?

YEp it works. The plugs are different, but they have the same wires. I just took one wire a time out of the ttr ignition and put it in the WR plug and viola, security. I did have to take the stock mount for the button ignition and cut and weld it to the ttr bracket to make it work. Looks great, let me know if you have any problems with the install, I might be able to help.

Just an FYI. I just bought a WR from a guy in MO where it was apparently inspected and deemed "street legal" after he had put a baja kit on it. I get to KS and go to have it inspected, and the lady at the highway patrol told me there was no way she would let it through because the manufacturer said it was "off-road only." Despite having a full street-legal kit on it. I'm a little frustrated to say the least as I just sold my dual sport BMW to get this and now am having all sorts of issues. I had to get it titled as off-road only thanks to her, but as soon as I get the title back I'm going to try a different highway patrol office. Any suggestions/tips on getting this pushed through?

I live in INdiana and I had to have the police come over and do a CHANGE OF BODY form on the bike, my title now says MC instead of off road only. They would not plate mine until it was done. Really easy.

• 3 months later...
+1 for another aussie who rides his WR450F on the road and never had a problem after 10,000km. I just don't understand why people say they are no good. If they can survive on hell of a thrashing in the bush, surely they can handle commuting riding normally. 1000km oil changes still sounds like new ?

I also aussie in WA what year is your bike and what mods to make suitable for commuting have you made? do you still run knobbies? jets? i want to set my bike up for around 60-65% road 35% dirt mainly trail riding off road.

Do you do any freeway km? or just small city commuting?