Sign in to follow this  

suspension too stiff on yz250

I just recently purchased a used yz250 and the previous owner had the front and rear suspension reworked by Pro action and i was very happy with the way things were. Of course two weeks the oil seals started to leak. To make a long story short, i successfully changed the seals but the incompetents at my local dealership told me that each fork would only require about 10 oz of oil each. I bought 1 bottle and come to find out, it take about 19oz. Now its 11:00pm and I'm due to ride out of town for the weekend so i read in several places on line that you can use automatic transmission oil instead, which is what i ended up doing for lack of another option.

Results are very smooth action with no bottoming, and no leaks.

The problem is that now the forks seem very stiff in the breaking bumps and smaller bumps but it handles excellently on jumps with no bottoming. My question is can i change to "compression" by changing the oil level/weight and does any body have an idea as to what "weight" the transmission fluid might be? it was Exxon brand in the red bottle. I have already softened the compression as much as it will go.

sorry to be so long winded but any advice would help.

Did you replace the fork bushings too? If not that could be your problem. They could of been worn already in which case they will feel even worse once they are taken out and put back in. Grab your front brake and pull up and top out the forks. Then just let the lever go and see if the forks settle on there own. They can also be damaged when taking them out if not careful. Also make sure that your R/S fork isn't bound up on the axle.

doc