Can I Handle a 450? What should i be aware of?

I curently have a 94 YZ 250 and can ride it with relative ease BUT i am making the jump and getting a thumper i just dont know what one to get. I asked my cousin who is a Bike Mechanic and he said go for the 450 which was what i was leaning towards but i began to hear many bad accidents that happened to 450 riders because of these bikes power and i have now grown a sense of fear towards them. I do want a bike that can both go fast down fire roads to keep up with my friends , but i also want a bike with suspension that can take some hard hits because i ride a neighbors MX track down the road and hes got some pretty big jumps there. When i get a new bike itl prob be a Yami just so you all know. So please, if you can, give me some advice of what you think i should do.

I'm:

5'11"

175 lbs

and 16 years old(i dont know if this helps any)

bad accidents happen to anyone on any bike.

Put a duffus on a 450 and yes he will get hurt, actually put a dufus on a 125 and he will get hurt.

I think the question is

What is your skill level?

How long have you been riding?

These are question you must ask yourself as well as to determine your own confidence level. Asking the question tells me on good thing

You are very conscious about what choice of Bike is best for you ?

Thats a good thing

The CRF Honda has a milder hot then the YZF, however the 05 YZF has now been tuned milder I am told.

The YZF 426 and 450have on heck of a hit when the bike hist the cam. This can be a good thing and or a bad thing, it truly depends on your level and style and what you like.

if you can test ride a Honda or yamaha that may helpyou decide

well ill just confess right here. Ive only been riding for about a year and a half. But if i do get the 450 i will prob putt around the yard in first or second gear for about a week or so. I did the came with my ttr-125(starting bike), then i jumped all the way to the YZ 250 and did the exact thing i had just stated earlier about getting the bikes feel. Right after i gained confidence ive been riding it like i grew up with it so i think a lil practice on the 450 for a while i should have a good feel on how the bike's responses will be.

Thanks for the Reply

A YZ250 and a YZ450F are in the same racing class. Basically if you double a two-stroke cylinder volume, thats what it equates to in a four stroke. The powerband will be completely different, but if you can handle the power of a two-stroke 250, you can adapt to the four-stroke 450.

The first bike I ever rode and owned is a yz450 I hadnt even ridden street bikes, just mountain bikes.Yea it took a few rides (trail rides) to get used to the enormous throttle response, but within 2 rides I was on tracks and taking small jumps, its probably not the best bike to learn on but Im not into buying and then upgrading and now I am used to it and I love it.It did help when I tuned the suspention to my weight and played with a few things to customize it to my style.

It sure has some power, but I had a 250 2 smoke and the 450f is way easier and safer to ride. But if you are asking this question than you probably should be considering the 250f.

The accidents on 450's are not usually a result of he bike. Its the two little peanut shaped things between the riders leg combined with a lack of cognitive ability and self preservation.

It sure has some power, but I had a 250 2 smoke and the 450f is way easier and safer to ride. But if you are asking this question than you probably should be considering the 250f.

The accidents on 450's are not usually a result of he bike. Its the two little peanut shaped things between the riders leg combined with a lack of cognitive ability and self preservation.

Totally agree with Condog. Stepping from my YZ250 2-stroke to 426 was easy and actually felt safer but did not make me quicker.

A 450 becomes a heavy bike in a long moto...

?

I started out on a 91 YZ250 which I still own and then got a 426 6 months later. I still ride the 2 banger occasionally, and I am way safer on my 426! The crap suspension combined with lightswitch power delivery make the 2 stroke death for anything but a smooth mx track. The 426/450's are animals, but they only go as hard as you screw the throttle. On an average trail ride I'd be lucky to see more than 1/2 throttle. Generally, the new owners who get into trouble on a big 4 strokes probably think they are better than they really are. I've had my 426 for nearly a year now, and the bike is still way better than me, and probably always will be.

The only place you're really liable to get tripped up is in getting used to the engine braking. Be a little prudent leaving the crest of your first few jumps. If you chop the throttle leaving the top with a big YZF, it will nose over on you because of compression braking, so learn to be able to find a place in between on and off when that's what you want.

The other place is going into braking bumps. If you hit them, or any other good sized ridge across your path with the throttle off, the tail will kick up more than a 2-stroke does. Again, either learn to "float" the throttle, or pull in the clutch. If you have room, just gas it.

Oh, and don't shut off too quickly at the end of a hill climb; you'll find yourself stopped 4 feet from the top. ?

Otherwise, they're powerful, but far more controllable than a 2-stroke of equal power.