Removing front sprocket. 03crf450

i just replaced mine...had my buddy sit on the bike with his foot on the back brake and I used a T-handle... it was on extremely tight (thought i was gonna break it off in the thread) I couldn't find the spec in the manual so i used some Loctite and torqued the s*** out of i as best I could ... it still lingers in the back of my mind if it's on too tight, or not quite tight enough.......iremember on my old Yammy's there was a lock washer that bent over the bolt... ?

My first thought was pop it in gear and straddle the rear tire, but I already have the chain off. I guess I can throw it back on to remove the sprocket, just wondering if their was a easier method. Guess not. Thanks!!!

Just put the chain back on and slip the master thru - no need to clip it; 45 secs of effort.

Just put the chain back on and slip the master thru - no need to clip it; 45 secs of effort.

Thats what I plan on doing. I was just wanting to make sure that wouldnt cause damage to the drive when I apply pressure to remove the bolt holding the front sprocket on..

"20 ft/lbs is the torque spec."

Just wondering where you saw this? I didn't see it in the owners manual either but would think that it would be more than that. ?

I use a 3/8" drive butterfly impact to remove/install them. Prior to owning one or a compressor for that matter, I would slip a wooden handled hammer through the rim so that, with the bike in gear, it would lay across the swingarm and I could carefully loosen/tighten the bolt. Never bent a spoke doing it that way.

I guess if you didn't have anyone to help hold the brake and it had to be done, you could give that way a try. The friend idea sounds better to me now though. ?