Sign in to follow this  

Break-in period

Last week I bought a new 2005 YZ250F. And I'm curious about the engine break-in period. I've ridden it once for about 3 hours, generally keeping it under 1/2 throttle. I'm scheduled to go out this weekend 1/1/2005 riding again.

Should I do the full oil change before I go, or wait till the engine has had more time running? Also, what else needs to be done after the initial break-in period?

I'm very new to cycle mechanics. I've been jeepin for years, and bikes are pretty new to me. Thanks.

:cry:

According to the manual, you have passed the break-in period. Now it's time to change the oil. Drain the crankcase, frame oil and refill and you'll be ready to go. I would not think that a filter change is needed until after a few more rides.

rockjunkie, you are past the break in-----CHANGE THE OIL & FILTER and go run that thing :cry: you should also check valves and all torque settings now that you had a few heat cycles. after that change the oil all the time and the filter every other or so.

You need to do a search amoung this forum, and do some reading up. there have been a lot of threads on oil and maintinance. the general consesnence is it dosen't matter what oil you use, just change it often!

Agreed-You're ready to run it hard after an oil change. If I may suggest something...change the oil, start it up let it run for 5 mins with a mixture of idle and bringing the engine to around 1/3 max RPMs, then change the oil again. This should remove the vast majority of break-in particles.

For reference, I only have about 1.9 hours on my new YZF. Changed the oil after the first engine run of 10 minutes, then again at .8 hours, then again at 1.9. Nothing quite like fresh oil to properly break in the bike and prolong the life of the machine.

At the .8 hour oil change, I then ran it hard, but didn't run super RPM's. Maybe 10K at most. I really did feel an increase in power after that point. Coming off a 250 2-stroke (and before that a WR400), any increase in power was easily felt.

good luck, and excellent choice in a bike!!

Thanks for the input guys. I Bought the oil and filter last night. And yes I've done some searching through this forum, and I'm learning quickly.

Mcarp- So I take it you're not using yamalube if you're changing the oil three times in the first two hours? What weight dyno oil do you use?

btw, I'm located in Palm Desert, CA. About a 45 minute drive from Ocotillo and Cahuilla Creek MX park. If anyone wants to go riding soon, hit me up via e-mail. :cry: