Sign in to follow this  

Looking for riding info in NC, SC

Looks like there is a good chance I may be leaving Pennsylvania for the mountains of South Carolina. I should know for certain in a week or two. I will be moving to the Marietta area (about 1/2 hour north of Greenville if I'm guessing right).

I'm hoping some of you guys can get me pointed in the right direction for riding areas. I've seen Brown and Brushy mentioned but would like to know where they are at. Doesn't look like Georgia and Tennessee are that far away either so if there's something there that's worth a look let me know.

I'm a trail rider. I don't do MX. I ride the rocks of the Pennsylvania mountains so rocks don't bother me but smooth is nice too since I have kids. I need a place that will be open during the week as that will be when the majority of my days off are. If I do have a weekend off I would be interested in Hare Scrambles in the area also.

Hopefully that's enough info for you guys to keep me busy looking for a while.

Thanks.

Wow! public trails! You guys must be doing of good job of controlling the liberals population. Nothing like that up here. They even try to find loopholes to shut down the private clubs. Thanks for the info.

Looks like there is a good chance I may be leaving Pennsylvania for the mountains of South Carolina. I should know for certain in a week or two. I will be moving to the Marietta area (about 1/2 hour north of Greenville if I'm guessing right).

I'm hoping some of you guys can get me pointed in the right direction for riding areas. I've seen Brown and Brushy mentioned but would like to know where they are at. Doesn't look like Georgia and Tennessee are that far away either so if there's something there that's worth a look let me know.

I'm a trail rider. I don't do MX. I ride the rocks of the Pennsylvania mountains so rocks don't bother me but smooth is nice too since I have kids. I need a place that will be open during the week as that will be when the majority of my days off are. If I do have a weekend off I would be interested in Hare Scrambles in the area also.

Hi. I live in Cleveland (about 5 min. N of Marietta). I also ride woods, not MX, and have kids riding. No racing here, yet anyways.... You'll enjoy the trails here. Just don't get your hopes up right away, 'cuz there's nothing to ride until the last weekend in March. I take that back, there are a couple of private trails about 3 hours away, but you better have some $$$.

NC & SC shut down the trails for winter (wet/healing/work, etc). Brown Mtn. & Wayahutta (Roy Taylor) are in NC and somewhat similar to what you're used to riding. They'll be a 2 hour drive for you, and cost $5/bike/day. There are also 3 trails in SC that are 1.5-2 hours away from you, also $5. You can easily ride all the trails at these locations in 1 day.

How old are your children & what are they riding? We'll have to take them this spring! I/we should be riding once a week starting in April with some guys from work. We leave Greenville around 3:30, and its about 45 min to the trailhead. Are you working in Greenville?

liberals? the baptists killed 'em off in the 80's :cry:
LOL :cry:. Makes me proud to be a Baptist!

RyanK, I am looking for work at a Christian camp in the area. I have been working at a camp in PA as a Director of Maintenance and I am looking to move into more of a position in programs and guest relations.

I thought I had a shoe in at Awanita up by the NC border, but someone with some more qualifications slipped in ahead of me.

There are still a lot of options in that area and I'm still looking. I'd really like to find a place where I could institute a trail riding program. There is a camp that does it in the Seattle area and they seem to have had a great response to it. So, if any of you have any pull at a Christian camp let me know and you can have one more Baptist down there to control the liberal poplulation (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

If I find something down there It would be great to hook up with you RyanK. My boys are 10 and 12. My 12 year old rides a TTR 125 and isn't too aggressive, but the 10 year old on an XR80 is game for almost anything. My 12 year olds disposition could change if he didn't have to ride so many rocks though.

I'm sure they would like the trails here. Rocks can be VERY intimidating for the little guys, and I cant' blame them. Think how hard that would be to ride over those big rocks with those little tires...

There are a few Christian camps in this area. You might ask my church for some help finding something or for contacts at the local camps. http://mariettafirstbaptist.org/ Hope this helps! BTW, my name is Ryan Kelbey. Look me up if you make it down here sometime.

We have some pretty good trails down here for us to ride on. We are starting to have some pretty good rides together with fellow TT members. Shaping up to be a good riding year. I live in the NWestern part of the state. I ride 95% trail and just a little MX on my track in behind my house.

I have a 7yr old that I have yet to take to a big trail system yet. That is one of my goals this year. Possibly Durahamtown. We ride on my track that incorporates around 5-6 acres of field and woods. I made it very forgiving and perfect for the kids. He loves company, we should get together and ride sometime, ( this goes for all TT members). We sometimes have friends over on Sunday around 1-2 Pm. Just in time to get a good hot meal in after church. :cry:

I dont know of any camps looking for directors at this time. I am not that big into youth camps yet, but with three kids under 7, I will be soon. Good luck in your search.

I live in Greenville.....go to Brown Mtn. and Windrock in Tn. always looking for folks to ride with. E-mail me. I am a trail rider also....not into fast and furious.

There are also some fairly large Christian schools in the area and the riding starts April 1. There are plenty of places to ride if you know the right people. If not there are other places to go that you have to pay link Aonia, Taccoa, Parsons, Whitmire, Manchester, Brown Mountain, Brushy Mountain all within 2.5 hours or less

Sorry to bud-in

I'm heading down to my brother near Greenville and hope to go for a ride at Enoree(I think) on the 16th. Alway looking for people to ride with, stop by and say hello. I'll be on an 04 wr250f and my brother will be on a classic 86 tt350.

Wow! public trails! You guys must be doing of good job of controlling the liberals population. Nothing like that up here. They even try to find loopholes to shut down the private clubs. Thanks for the info.

That's one reason why I'm leaving CA to go to NC. But be careful! Coming from CA i've learned my leason in blanketly blaming liberals. It's the overpowered environmental groups that are to blame. Like the Sierra Club. Who's president, by the way, is a very religious, conservative, Republian :naughty: . Know your enemy!...the enemy within.

Hey guys I'm moving from Southern California to live in Greer South Carolina. Looking for riding buddies and places to ride. I do trail riding only. I'll be there starting the first week of June. I would say I'm an advanced newbie. I have a wr250f 2003. I'll check out these links and feel free to drop me a line. I currrently ride every weekend and do not anticipate on having a job for the first month or so when I get out there so mid week riding should not be a problem. Looking forward to doing some SC trails... :naughty:

Hey guys I'm moving from Southern California to live in Greer South Carolina. Looking for riding buddies and places to ride. I do trail riding only. I'll be there starting the first week of June. I would say I'm an advanced newbie. I have a wr250f 2003. I'll check out these links and feel free to drop me a line. I currrently ride every weekend and do not anticipate on having a job for the first month or so when I get out there so mid week riding should not be a problem. Looking forward to doing some SC trails... :naughty:

Look forward to riding with you soon. I try to do a ride to enoree about one evening a week with some guys from work and my sons.

Brown Mountain will be about a 2.5 hour drive for ya, and WELL worth it :naughty:

Really the only thing that stops us from riding in South Carolina is closures. If we get a lot of rain they will close the trails. Why is everyone moving here jobs, school,???? You guys are going to love the weather around August. I lived in San Diego for 2.5 years and say it rain(sprinkle) one time.

"Why is everyone moving out here???"

Me and BRAAAaa are from Southern Cali. Housing costs out here have SKYROCKETED. You would pay 350K for a 2 bedroom condo now in a decent area. House's are pretty much out of range now. I make/made 70K a year and the best I could do is a condo or a house 2 hours from OC. It's crazy not to mention gas is $2.65 a gallon. I will drop you guys a PM when I get out there looking forward to doing some trail riding with you take it easy... :naughty:

Yeah my apartment was 850. a month in 1987/88 in San Diego. My house is not much more than that now. I never could understand how someone making minimum wages could afford to live in CA.

Sorry to bud-in

I'm heading down to my brother near Greenville and hope to go for a ride at Enoree(I think) on the 16th. Alway looking for people to ride with, stop by and say hello. I'll be on an 04 wr250f and my brother will be on a classic 86 tt350.

Enoree is still closed. I recommend calling the "Call Before You Haul" hot line number (803) 561-4025 to check before making a trip out there.

Also, Parson's Mt. and Cedar Springs remain closed. :naughty:

For all you guys moving into the area, go to the SCORE website here for info and sign up for the email list. You can meet a lot of real nice people to ride with.

:naughty:

I may also be moving to Charlotte area due to work relocation. I was thinking I may have to trade in my bikes for a boat, but after listening to you guys, maybe not. I also have a 33 foot toy hauler fifth wheel. Should I sell it before my move to NC or should I keep, and why? I used the toy hauler for the desert because it is self contained and the family are comfortable.