Sign in to follow this  

Is It Okay to sit In corners

Okay here is what I do when I come to a sharp corner I stand coming into it weigh the outside peg then about half way through the turn I sit down... Is this okay???!!!!

You don't usually weight the outside peg until after you sit down.

For most fast corners (speaking from an MX background, but hopefully also applicable to trail riding), you brake hard front and rear standing going into the corner with equal weight on the pegs as you lean back to stay balanced on the pegs. Then you ease up on the brakes a little as you squeeze with your knees to control your sit-down (instead of having to wear out your arms controlling the sit-down g's) and transition your right foot to working the rear brake with your foot off the peg, still gripping the tank to control your upper body.

If it's a left turn, you can put your left leg out a little earlier, and transition from rear brake to clutch/throttle at the exit DEX. If it's a right turn, you need to get your right leg out, so you can't hold the rear brake as long, and you'll transistion from brake to throttle a little earlier, and probably not overlap your braking and throttle as much. For me, the real trick is to remember to not put out your inside foot until you are sitting and done with your rear braking. Most of the fast guys that use our local pro coach use this rhythm, and it's beautiful to watch, and it feels really great when you get it right.

BTW -- When you squeeze with your knees and sit going into a corner, it helps a lot to push in with your outside knee into the tank to turn the bike in aggresively (sp?).

I agree that you usually don't weigh down the outside peg until you are already sitting down.Me though,I usually sit down right before I even enter the corner.So that way as soon as I am in the corner I am already down and can fly right through the turn.

I am not a fast rider so I find myself setting far forward right up against the tank in sharp turns without a lot of speed, elbows up. If I am going left, my left shoulder is down and right is up with my right elbow way up. This plants the front tire and the rear will follow. If I am heading down on a switchback, this works very well with one additional remark: most switchbacks have a "high side" cut into the mountain so you can ride up a little into the top of the switchback and then severely cut back to the trail to make the sharp turn easier. Main thing is to keep the front tire on the trail! :cry:

Okay here is what I do when I come to a sharp corner I stand coming into it weigh the outside peg then about half way through the turn I sit down... Is this okay???!!!!
It's OK... but it wastes energy.

The more turns you can take standing the better. Especially when the course is littered with braking and exit bumps. Smoother is better.

Since you posted this in the "off-road" technique forum and not the "MX forum" I will also say that you should keep your feet on the pegs and not hanging out in a corner to be smashed by rocks. Plus hanging your foot out wastes energy. You are looking to go the fastest and the smoothest while conserving energy.

Now, since you won't be taking your feet off the pegs, there is no reason to sit down. Your weight should be on the pegs...this is what is controlling the bike.

Takes lots of practice, so that you become familiar with how your bike is going to react with each turn.:cry:

You can weight the outside peg standing or sitting. Sitting in a corner can be beneficial and sometimes necessary. My opinion- If you sit, stand ASAP. I've stated it before that I have never said to myself "damn, I wish I had been sitting for that" but I have stated to myself many times "damn, I wish I had been standing for that".

I'm just a beginner. But what I noticed that makes a smoother corner for me is to stand as long as you can. This absorbes the bumps & stuff better. Then I sit to weight the front tire just as I'm making the actual turn/apex (and weight the outside peg. Then coming out of the turn I stand up using my outside foot mostly. This gets me off the seat & bumps feel better, plus the bike can dance a little, but the weight on the outside peg keeps it in check.

I'm not sure if this is exactly right, but I think its a step in the right direction bc everything felt smoother & more controlled! It was like an epiphany when I figured out how to get my butt off the seat! I had the best ride ever that day!