Sign in to follow this  

whats the best way to break it in???

Folks i just bought a 2005wr250f. I haven't riding a dirt bike for about 18 years. The dealer told me to run it for 20 hours with no more then 3/4 throttle. Others told me 2 tankfuls of gas. The manual says basically warm it up twice, and others tell me to run it hard but not too hard to seat the rings and that this prevents the cylinder walls from becoming glazed. To be honest you cant even hit 3/4 throttle out of the box. So far the only thing thats been done is uncorking and cutting the throttle stop. the dealer is working on the bog and the lean condition now and hopfully it will be ready tomorrow for some fun. I only have about 7 hours on the motor now and have half babied it and half worked it hard. Can someone give me the correct info to break it in?

:cry:

7 hours? It's broken in. Just been good about oil changes.

I hope you changed the oil after the first 3-4 hours or sooner. It'll look great on the dipstick, and you'll crap your pants when you see it drain from the frame.

I haven't changed it yet but since you said that i will change it as soon as i get it back from the dealer. I suppose i can expect to see lots of metal? I will also pick up a magnetic drain plug if i can find one. Thanks.

Scott

I've had my WR for about a year with over 1,000 hard miles and have never seen anything on the oil filter. I've changed the filter twice and the oil about every two-three rides (75-125 miles).

The break-in on the new bikes seems to be warm them up and run'm hard. Even the outboards seem to be better when broken in like this.

Just change the oil and filter, check your air filter, radiator overflow tank and for loose bolts....let'r roll!

Rich

The dealer told me to run it for 20 hours with no more then 3/4 throttle.

Others told me 2 tankfuls of gas.

The manual says basically warm it up twice,

and others tell me to run it hard but not too hard to seat the rings and that this prevents the cylinder walls from becoming glazed. ...:cry:

You missed one. Others say to just warm it up, then race it, and that's the best break-in. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I bought 2 bikes at the same time, so I did one with a slow break-in, and the other with the warm-up and run. I hope my fast break-in looks as good as the pics on the racers web site. If it doesn't, I've got a big bore waiting for it.

Also, there are a lot of threads on break in, including this one:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61409&highlight=fast+break

I hope you havent gone riding yet and that I'm not too late. I guarantee this will let you ride 50 hours longer before a rebuild. 1. Make sure the bike is plenty warm before riding. 2. I don't know how these guys think that you can ride a bike hard and have it last for a long time. 3. When you're 1st gas tank ride don't go over .5-.75 throttle. Whenever you have a chance, get up to speed and then downshift and let the engine braking slow you down. This will help all the seals. 4. On your 2nd gas tank, don't hit the rev limiter. Get on the gas for about 3 seconds then let off the throttle for 2 and repeat whenever possible. 5. After the first two tanks change the oil and filter. Don't wait any longer! I guarantee you that there will be a few pieces of metal in your filter. After that don't go all out for the next couple of rides. Ride easy and you can stay on the gas for as long as you want, but don't stay over .75 throttle for a really long time. Good Luck!