What exhaust system do you use?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I runa GYT-R header pipe and YZ muffler (wouldnt mind something quieter when $$ are avaliable) . The JD kit gives you good adjustability through the bottom and midrange, but you can easily adjust MJ size with any needle to suit any exhaust system.

If sound permits, just buy a yz muffler. They are cheap, and make a big difference. Lets see..aftermarket exhaust $800. bucks $75.buck for a complete yz exhaust and you have a extra header if you damage one... If you go some place where you need something with less sound, put on the uncorked stocker... It works for me, and saves a lot of cash. Just a thought...Smitty:thumbsup:

From the beginnig I've been using the stock exhaust on my canadian 426. It is heavy and very restrictive but at least it was quiet and since I was coming from a 1983 KDX200, power was not an issue even with that exhaust.

I recently bought a used FMF powercore 4 ? and will try it next season. It has been repacked by the previous owner and is in good shape.?

You can find them for pretty cheap. I bought an IMS tank, YZ seat, Baja Design Skid Plate and the PC4 freshly repacked for $180 US + shipping.?

Thanks Tom!?

I'm gonna have to keep the stock exhaust for the week though because I plan on commuting to work with the bike and the PC4 is way too loud. I also might try the FMF insert for those PC4.?

Well, all my WR's have just had the stock WR pipe with an insert. 426 had the GTY-R, the 450 uses the PMB (pro moto billet) But I just bought a new FMF Powercore 4 and the quiet insert is on its way. I havent even installed the muffler yet. I may slip it on today and light it off just to see how it sounds. After doing research and asking, the FMF PC4 seems to be one of the more popular selections with the quiet core insert. The FMF Q series seems to be pretty popular, but I was told (and I hope they are right) that I can get the PC4 under 96 db with no problem. I ride public land and sound is an issue. But I also wanted more power, even though, I didnt really need it:excuseme: ? I also have a JD kit coming, but it will be a bit, appears they are back ordered and will install the extended fuel screw at the same time I have the carb apart.

well, i am looking for the cheapest one.(my pockets arent too deep) any idea how loud the stock YZ muffler is? the only real big issue in california are the spark arrestors. in my opinion, the louder the better, i've looked at some titanium exhaust systems (pro circuit and such) damn, now they aren't cheap. where can i find an 05 YZ exhaust?

well, i am looking for the cheapest one.(my pockets arent too deep) any idea how loud the stock YZ muffler is? the only real big issue in california are the spark arrestors. in my opinion, the louder the better, i've looked at some titanium exhaust systems (pro circuit and such) damn, now they aren't cheap. where can i find an 05 YZ exhaust?

Ebay is a good choice, that's where I picked up my YZ pipe and head pipe for $50 ? They were in perfect condition also! It took a while to find but it was worth it. If you get a good deal on a stock pipe the PMB spark arrester is a good option to consider. My bike runs great with the pipe and the JD jet kit. Much cheaper than aftermarket:thumbsup:

the only real big issue in california are the spark arrestors. in my opinion, the louder the better

I don't know where you ride in CA, but here in the southern half noise is a very real issue. Please have the courtesy to keep your bike within the limits so that you don't end up helping the folks who would see us banned. Noise does not=more power. ?

RADRick

www.mcjournalist.com

I run a standard YZ muffler and it's quieter than my mates Yoshi pipes.

Just repack it really tight with any sort of good quality packing getting rid of the wire wrap crap.

The standard packing from Yamaha is absolute shite and can blow out the side of the can? Packing heats up, disolves then heats the wire wrap high enough to over heat the aluminium can.

I found the YZ pipe to just smooth out the power and gives a good mid-range top end hit:eek:

well, i'll keep it down for you radrick.

Don't do it for me, do it for yourself and the thousands of other CA riders who don't want to see more regulations on our bikes and/or closures of our riding areas. People who don't ride outnumber us and they vote on issues affecting us. We need to care about what they think and noisy bikes make the wrong impression on them. A little more top end power isn't worth the damage a noisy exhaust can do to our cause.?

RADRick

www.mcjournalist.com

I'm running a White Bros E Series...makes good power every where. Stock head pipe. I ride with a DRZ E guy with a full Yosh System. They sound comparable.

My only complaint with the E series is that occasionally I have to re-pop rivet the can to the inner shell. It seems 1 of the 8 or so rivets will work it's way loose every 5th ride. It's a 30 second fix though.

i'm one of those californians who doesn't want the riding areas shut down either. i guess what i meant to say is that i'm trying to get the most amount of power (preferably torque) for the exhaust pipe. i want it to be at the legal level of 96 dba, not any louder. 96 dba which in my opinion is very loud, any louder would be just considered noise pollution and annoying. i've had my share of ways to make the best of a stock setup (i.e. exhaust) and now with this 05 WR, I really just want a slip on muffler that looks cool, sounds beefy, and offers the greatest power increase. I'd prefer to just ditch the stock pipe and not butcher it by drilling out rivets and attacking it with a saw.

thanks