icon 50x or 90x?

i know its not a xr50 but i heard there pretty good pit bikes, i was thinking about get the 50x becuase i heard it it pretty much the same thing as a xr50, like all of ther parts, even engine parts are interchangable. is this true?

if so i was thinking about putting this on it--->http://www.hondatrailbikes.com/cata...b395143e2c1ce77

and someother goodies. anyways what im asking is, is the icon 50x worth the money, is it releiable, does it have good suspension, or am i better off just getting a 90x and not getting the 50 and putting the 88cc on it?

please post what you think.

-Taylor

I have the 90x and my son has the crf50 w the TB88, cam and carb. It's definitly snappier than the Icon 90 but top speed , with 4th gear the Icon is faster. I like the manual clutch on the 90 and the front disc works great for stoppies. They both have the E-22 head which means you can't run cams made for the Hondas. I'm pretty happy with the 90 but I'm looking at ways to make it faster. My sons engine makes it feel slower. It definitly feels like the Icon has 1 or 2 less HP

I agree with max49. I sell the icons and thumpstars at my shop. The 90 clutch is great. The icons have longer swingarms and frames, and the suspension is already setup for an adult so in the long run it is cheaper.

I will be getting a list of parts for the icon soon from what they told me so we hope to test some new hopup parts soon.

Damon

Abnphipps, PM me or post when you get the hop up parts for the 90. The 69mm cylinder and 49mm stroke has made it hard for me to find the right parts I would like to have. I ordered , received , installed a cam that was suppose to be "high" performance. I took a chance that it would even fit in the E-22 head. It did fit and even looked very close to identical to the stock cam. For some reason it made it terribly slow, no bottom at all. One ride , and took it out, double checked my work ? , put the stock cam back in and was happy to find it ran good again, but still want it faster. Wasted money.

Pahrump, post some pics of your bikes since you did all that work to them.

Do you still have the stock heads on yours or did you buy TB's race head?

Pahrump, Maybe I will now that I have a spare. I try to avoid tearing the bike apart and sending pieces of it out and waiting for them so you can ride. Been there, done that. Talk about time going slow.

I wonder how he knows what to do to the cam since he told me he has'nt seen an Icon 90 cam before. If the lobes are too high it could collapse the valve springs or even hit the piston. I'm not being argumentative, I just don't understand how they know what to do to it to make it better without some experimenting.

Hey do know the piston pin diameter on your Icon ? Do you think this work on the Icon 90 with the 49mm stroke? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4516605503&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Crower wants the head too to he can flow it together. That is the reason he don't have mine yet either. I am too busy riding them. As for that kit It may work, depends upon rod length. The head in there is the same e22 head we have now and at only $120 bucks for the kit it ain't too bad. You could send the head and cam to Crower asap and get it ported and a cam ground then put the 52mm cylinder and piston ln with your new head. Have a ported, cammed 105cc beast there. Then you could always sell your stock head, and cam for $50+ bucks.

Another idear is to bore the stock cylinder and get a piston that macthes the stocker.

I know you Honda guys are gonna say "you can't bore the stock cylinder" well on the Honda you can't cause the cylinder walls are too thin but on the Icon cylinders they can be bored to atleast 50mm by my measurements and still have more sleeve sticking into the cases than my TB 52mm cylinders do. I bet you could bore them to 52mm.

And another option is to get the 54mm cylinder and piston kit with the 69mm tall cylinder from dratv.com. The cases on the Icons are already bored out to accept the 54mm cylinder which the Hondas are not. And the Icons come stock with a HV oil pump too.

Damn I am tired of typing.......lol

Lol, Thanks Pahrump, between the 2 of us we just might become experts at souping up Icons. I bought this thing cause I thought it would be cheaper than the Honda. I'm intrigued with it now and want to make it faster than my sons CRF. The guy who is selling that BBK said the piston pin is fatter than the hondas. Could you measure your stock piston pin for me if you have it handy? If you dont have a caliper you could use your metric wrench on it. The honda is right about 13mm ?