Were the XL's the predecessor to the XR's?

I have a friend who's looking at an old XL350, and I don't know anything about these bikes.

They were the street legal version of the XR's, I owned a 1986 XL600R for several years and had a friend who had a XL350,I think the 350 was just a small bore 600, both good bikes for their time.IMHO.

I had an '85 XL350. It was a fine trail bike. Never broke down, never needed anything other than consumables, and sold for more than I paid for it!

Great bike unless it's the RFVC version.They had top end oiling problems and are prone to cam and rocker arm meltdowns.The two valve xl350's are virtually bullet proof like the newer xr's.I race flattrack and the xl 350 is the most sought after bike in AHRMA vintage racing.They can be bored and stroked and will outrun anything vintage on a flattrack.

They are fairly fast stock and make A good trailbike also. :cry:

Great Bikes, I have owned an 83' 600, and an 85' 350. Both were very dependable. The main differences between the XL and XR were;

1. They came with a street Title

2. Street legal lighting system.

3. Softer suspension for the street. That includes the cush-drive rear wheel.

The rear sprocket to wheel conection was cushioned by rubber pads.

4.Metal Gas tank.

5. I think they had a shorter swingarm than the XR.

6. Smaller diameter front forks.

As mentioned they are highly sought after and hold their value/price.

Check out the Dual Sport forum. If you go back a ways you will find a lot of info on these bikes. :cry:

WOW, youi guys have a lot different opinions of these bikes than ANY i've ever seen in my 30+ years riding.

I've never before seen an XL described as anything but a slow, heavy, undersuspended t*rd.

Owned a 250 and 600 and the same in XR's and they are completely different bikes.

XR's were much faster, hotter cams I think, bigger carbs, free'er exhausts, gearing different, suspension MUCH better, with much longer travel, lighter, better brakes. ETC

They WERE reliable as anvils, as were all 4 stroke Honda's of the those days.

But "highly sought after" and hold their value??

That's like another world to me. :cry:

i OWN A 1985 xl 350, I'VE RIDDEN IT FROM CANADA TO MEXICO AND BACK ON A 2 WEEK VACATION!!!!! i AM LOOKING FOR A HEAD FOR IT NOW AND AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING ONE. ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND ONE?

how bout an sl?

I have a late 70's SL70, I think it may have been street legal at one time, mirrors blinkers tail light.

does anyone know how to start a 1986 honda xl 600r?

lol

here ya go

bring the bike into a nice warm garage and let it come up to room temp :)

make sure the kill switch is not on, petcock is on, ignition is on, choke is completely off, gearbox in N

but you will need some choke if its cold, these bikes hate cold

engage the compression release and give her a few kicks to prime

kick her over while feathering the throttle just enough so she will start

its that EASY!

I sold my 82 or 83 XL 250 about 10 years ago. Very good looking bike and fun to ide everywhere except on Michigan trails/sand. Unfortunately, I ride mostly sandy trails in Michigan. They are too heavy and underpowered to be a serious trail bike.

A cool dual sport bike, but you will be disappointed if you try to make it something it isn't (trail bike.)

Here is a couple pictures of my 1982 Honda XL100S.

100_1792.jpg

100_1790.jpg

I am the second owner and it only has 1100 miles. I love the old school metal tank.

Oh, thanks a lot for the pics, ssswingarm, my '74 XL100 just lost the will to live. I'll go out and try to console it, but I hear some heart wrenching sobbing....

XL-erate

Oh, thanks a lot for the pics, ssswingarm, my '74 XL100 just lost the will to live. I'll go out and try to console it, but I hear some heart wrenching sobbing....

XL-erate

I wasn't trying to pour salt in the wound, XL-erate. Good luck with your bike.

Ha ha, thanks, ss! I went out and sweet talked it and promised to buy it presents and it's all better now....but that one great looking bike you built!!!

XL-erate

I've never before seen an XL described as anything but a slow, heavy, undersuspended t*rd.

The 1975 Huston Astrodome GNC short track was won by a guy on a 1974 XL350. That's not slow.

But "highly sought after" and hold their value?? That's like another world to me.

I've seen 1972 to 1975 XL250's and 350's sell on ebay for two times their price when new.

The two valve xl350's are virtually bullet proof like the newer xr's.

aint no such thing as a 2 valve XL350. They all (even the 250's) had 4 valve heads. but they ARE bullet proof! :thumbsup: