Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Mileage 05' KTM 450 EXC

How many miles are you getting out of a stock tank? I topped it off and ran out at 38 miles with a fast trail pace.

Sounds like something going on with your 450. My 520 EXC would go 60+, even stretched to 100 one day getting back to camp, lot of roads tho. Rode my '05 525 EXC the other day & used about a gallon in 41 miles.

Check your fuel valve position...something is very wrong!! Also could be jetting - check color of plugs after ride, could be running very rich.

Tim.

This will vary widely by jetting, terrain, rider, altitude, etc. I've gotten as bad as 30 miles to reserve in a power hungry enduro to 50mpg when trialriding on ATV trails with the wife.

I'm running the jd jetting and I've got 40 miles then need to go to reserve severasl times, in mixed tightn technical single track and open atv trails.

First off is it running good? And what jetting do you have, how far out is the idle mixture screw? Any chance someone tried to richen the entire system by increasing the pilot jet? It needs to have a #42 pilot, the "lean" conditions that they come with need to be cured with the needle, not the pilot, not the main!!

Couple things to do.

1: Remove the carb and look in from the engine side, the front of what looks like the slide but is really whats called a "vacume release plate" is black and at the bottom you should see a 6mm (1/4") hole in it that goes in abt 1/4 inch. If you don't see that hole respond back here.

2: There is an overflow hose that comes out of the bottom of the float bowl and joins the other 4 that come from higher in the carb and hang down the back, take that one hose and loop it up over & around the fuel line inlet, then down, this will reduce what gas is lost from overflow drool in the bumps

Go with a JD jet kit and reduce your accel pump timing to 1 second ( stock is 4 sec. ).

I get about 23 to 24 mpg. Which means I can race a 45 mile Hare Scrambles and not refuel. I ride a 2003 and 2005 525 EXC with stock 2 gallon tank.

Cher'o

Dwight

I agree with jeb. I have a 05 exc 525 and get 30-35 miles to reserve when racing and as much as 50-60 miles on easy trail.

Dont forget they changed the tank size with the 03 models onwards and they only hold 6 litres to reserve, (the manual is wrong!) My 02 400 exc held 8 litres to reserve and gave 80 miles + on trail.

I am talking litres cos i am uk, but a uk gallon is just under 5 litres.

My mate has a 540 kit exc and gets better fuel consumption than me :cry:

Out of interest , does anyone know how much fuel is in reserve on the 05s?

and roughly how many miles would you get to empty?

Cheers Nick

Out of interest , does anyone know how much fuel is in reserve on the 05s?

and roughly how many miles would you get to empty?

Cheers Nick

.3 gallons or about 10 miles if you are easy on the gas.

I have been able to get about 65 miles out of a tank on a ride that is 80% singletrack 20% washes. It drops to about 55 miles if it's all singletrack.

Dont forget they changed the tank size with the 03 models onwards and they only hold 6 litres to reserve, (the manual is wrong!) My 02 400 exc held 8 litres to reserve and gave 80 miles + on trail.
My 01 400E tank and my 03 450E tank held the same at 2.2 gallons. I put IMS tanks on both of them.

As stated by Jeb, fuel mileage will vary greatly, depending on riding style. I run mine on reserve in enduros because I have had an '02 520 go dead in site of a check and it took time to switch to reserve and start the bike when the carb bowl was empty. At a mud race last year I ran out of fuel 32.6 miles into a 36 mile section on an '04 450. The bike has JD jetting and the squirt time has been decreased by Dwight Rudder to about 1 second. The same bike has gotten around 50 mpg out west dual sport type riding.

My rule now is to never start a race without the tank filled to almost overflowing, and never ever pass a gas available without taking a sip. The petcock location is very efficient, there wasn't a drop of fuel in the tank when it went dead; it started missing a couple of hundreds yards before it went dead. After removing the tank for maintaince following multiple races, I had noticed the tank was very light and I suspect I had come close to running out before but had been lucky. That's the problem with luck, it ain't dependable.

You can't adjust the squirt time until you do the BK Mod. or you can order the accelerator pump diaphram from Honda, which reduces the squirt time to about one second.

You can't adjust the squirt time until you do the BK Mod. or you can order the accelerator pump diaphram from Honda, which reduces the squirt time to about one second.

This is not nesessary, the adjustment screw at top adjusts the squirt time.

You must have fuel in the bowl to measure the squirt time but look at the black lever and you want it to move the least bit when you blip the throttle. I believe I screwed mine in. But play with it and you will see what I mean.

DR

My 01 400E tank and my 03 450E tank held the same at 2.2 gallons. I put IMS tanks on both of them.

Jeb, it must be a euro thing then. My 02400exc (clear tank) held two litres more than both my 03 and 05 525exc.

I must confess idont know how many litres there are in a u.s. gallon though :cry:

This is not nesessary, the adjustment screw at top adjusts the squirt time.

You must have fuel in the bowl to measure the squirt time but look at the black lever and you want it to move the least bit when you blip the throttle. I believe I screwed mine in. But play with it and you will see what I mean.

DR

Hmm Dwight I will have to look at that. I have drilled & taped my own to add a "BK" style stop. I thought adjusting the top screw delayed the start of the squirt??

Anyway an intersting observation I made recently, there is no need to have the carb off and whatch the squirt when making an adjustment. Under the black cover on the side of the carb, I will call them the "Primary" link pushes on the "Secondary" link. When you twist the primary moves with the throttle, the secondary follows and the "squirt time is the time it follows or lags. Once you have grasp the concept with the carb of its very easy to tweek with the carb on.

The screw at the black lever is backed out or at the loose setting. When I blip the gas the lever just moves a little lagging behind the lever ever so slightly. Whe I tighten the screw against the black lever the screw follows the black lever with the throttle. What setting do I want? Heading to the Arizona National Enduro and Laughlin Hare Scrambles and need some revenge. Thanks