K&N Filters VS Uni Filter

I also run Uni's. I am currently doing a test run with a K&N on my son's XR100 but It's only been one summer and I'm going to run it one more (We get a lot of that really fine clay dust during the hot months.) I coat the inside of the tube between the filter and carb with a thin layer of oil and wipe it down with a white rag every time I clean the filter. So far the rag comes out with no dirt and I haven't found anything that resembles dust/dirt in the tube or carb inlet. I have never had a bad experience with K&N personally but have read so many negative comments that regardless of the outcome I will probably stay away from them.

Here is what I know from experience.

At one time I rode a lot in the sand dunes. Supposedly the K&N was the hot set-up, however everytime I would find sand in the carb after riding. I tried filter socks, nylon hose, you name it. I don't think this was due to poor maintenance as I am rather fanatical about these things. I blame my dad for this trait being an engineer and Concours grade Corvette restorer, LOL!

Anyway, I once left my UniFilter in the bike and rode ALL DAY, something like 8 gallons of fuel. I came home and while the filter was completely caked with sand, there was not one single granule in the airboot or carburetor. I have never used anything else than a UniFilter with Bel-Ray filter oil and BelRay Waterproof grease since then.

I think there are a couple of reasons for this. The K&N is a gauze like fabric that is quite porous and actually quite thin when it is sandwiched between the wire screem thqt gives it form. In addition to this, the sealing surface is rubber, not foam, so even when greased, it is naturally a less flexible sealing surface than a foam filter. Fianlly the K&N filter treatment is a less sticky oil than the Bel-Ray.

The K & N is great for the street but sucks in the dirt (no pun intended) ? I bought the UNI had no problems .....then bought the K & N and tried it and had dirt in the boot after one ride ? .............I put the UNI back on and I'm very happy with it,? the K & N is sitting on the shelf, $40.00 wasted ??

Wanna buy it for $10.00 ?

want a good deal on 2 Kand N's that I took out of my 97 f150 and 01 SVT Cobra.

the truck goes off road by about two miles every weekend hauling the bike. found dirt in the intake duct between the filter and throttle body.

Cobra duct was clean probably because it is only drive about 5000 miles per year, but got rid of the K and N anyway. the all aluminum snake motor is too expensive to risk for the unnoticeable gain in performance

K&N's filter better the longer you go between cleanings. But as they get dirty the airflow advantages begin to disappear. I dont think theyre worth double what a UNI filter goes for.

I have an open element K&N on my truck and I would have gotten rid of it by now except UNI doesnt make a filter in the size I need.

OK, since everyone's voting for Uni, I'm going to gum up the works (pun intended). I run K&Ns on everything - my dirt bikes, my street bike, and my cars. I've been using them for over 20 years. They flow great, are easy to clean, and I've never had dust or dirt inside the carb boot on anything. I do put waterproof grease between the filter and the air box on the XR. K&Ns work for me!

I put a k&n on my TTR125. I liked it, it's definately not harder to clean, probably easier. When I bought my XR250 I had to replace the air filter because it had 9 miles on it and was just stored in his garage. I got home and did a check of pretty much everything after I bought it. And found a mousenest in the filter, but it only damaged the outer part a little. I went to the dealer and bought a stock filter. My feeling is those other filters don't gain you enough to worry about. So I stick with what I know works and be done with it.