Sign in to follow this  

xr400 batery

I just bought a "street legal" '98 xr400r with '02tags. It has a headlight and tail light. Both work. What is the easiest way to get this bike ready to take my dmv license test? I guess I need a batery to keep the headlight on when the bike is off. I also need to make the brake light work(no wire going to the brake), it only functions as a tail light right now. And do I need turn signals in Ca? Anyways, you can see my issues. Any bright ideas to solve them? Thanks a LOT guys!

How is it you bought a street legal motorcycle with a calif. plate and you dont have any of the required equipment ......It sounds to me like you are missing almost evrything that a baja kit has. Yes , California requires turn signals, a horn, a high low beam headlight, a battery would be needed for the light to run for a few minutes too. You need a brake solenoid or pressure switch working off of the rear brake line to activate the rear brake light. Unless you are really handy with electronics, you still need a set of switches to operate everything too. Btw, to take your motorcylce license skills test you can do it in California on any street legal motorcycle, that you have borrowed legally of course and that has insurance. Good luck :cry:

I just bought a "street legal" '98 xr400r with '02tags. It has a headlight and tail light. Both work. What is the easiest way to get this bike ready to take my dmv license test? I guess I need a batery to keep the headlight on when the bike is off. I also need to make the brake light work(no wire going to the brake), it only functions as a tail light right now. And do I need turn signals in Ca? Anyways, you can see my issues. Any bright ideas to solve them? Thanks a LOT guys!

You don't need an inspection when you buy a used street vehicle in California. Since it was last registered in 02 you need a statement of fact by every registered owner that it was in storage all that time or there is some big aditional fee. I don't use a battery or horn on my XR400 but all lights (brake & TS) do work on AC.

Dualsports ROCK for the driving test :cry: Remember, no stoppies during the panic stop test, the inspectors take a dim view of that!

In WA state the DMV has been very particular about the tires on the dualsports used in driving tests... they seem to want tires that are not only clearly marked DOT, but that look like street tires as well. Luckily, you can get lightly used trailwings from nearly any DRZ rider for free, and put them on just for the test.

Dualsports ROCK for the driving test :cry: Remember, no stoppies during the panic stop test, the inspectors take a dim view of that!/QUOTE]

I have a friend in Reno who took the driving test and inspector siad he was not using enough front brake, next pass same thing, third pass he did a stoppie! That shut the guy up.

IF you're willing to pay about $150., you can go to a certified training school and get the driving test equivilency certificate. There is one in Colton CA(at the Honda Training Center). They provide bikes. And the instruction will make you a better rider. Some people fail, so don't take it lightly....

I gave up on using MY bike for the test. I'm borrowing a crotch rocket tomorrow for it. A buddy of mine at Baja Designs is hooking me up with what I need to make my headlight hi/low, brake light function(hydraulic), and dummy signals. I guess I can get by with that. Thanks for all the good info. I spent 4hrs at the Dmv today yelling back and forth with them because they want $300 in back fines. As per the earlier suggestion, i'm getting a statement of fact from the seller stating the bike was stored. All I can say is....Ca burocracy SUCKS:cry:!! The money Ca pays these people to argue with me would MORE than pay the fines!(How's that for twisted logic!:cry:)