Sign in to follow this  

Cutting a Frame

Has anybody ever cut a frame on a dirt bike to make it shorter? I ride a KTM200 EXC and my legs are a bit short. Somebody suggested that I cut the frame (this would involve welding some aluminum back together, I think, I just ride them, I don't know much about them!) So if anybody has ever done this before or if you know somebody who has, let me know. :cry:

I haven't but know people who have. You cut the rear of the subframe, not sure exactly how many millimeters out and weld it back together. The downfall if that it changes the seat dynamics because you are now strechting it flatter due to it being lower in the rear only. This will also not change the height of the front seat. I think I would cut the seat foam down first.

i think cutting the frame is not a good idea, you could cut the subframe and be fine tho

Mike Gosselar (RC's mechanic) cuts the frame (or subframe) on Ricky's CRF450R and RM250 to make starts easier for Ricky. Without it he would have to start with one leg down because the jackass AMA wont allow the use of rocks, stands, etc.

Ricky's a really short dude.

No..no..no..not a good idea..the geometry on the bike is set up based on the current frame size..

The best approach is to lower your suspension, both forks and rear shock a bit and then shave some seat foam to make it fit you.

Any good suspension place can do it in about an hour or so. It requires some parts but nothing outrageous. The nice part is that it can easily be reversed and brought back to normal if you go to sell the bike. Most folks would never buy a bike that has had frame mods done.

I have a KDX 200 in the garage that I did this to and it works out great.

On my crf450 I cut the sub frame and removed I think 3mm. It lowered the tip of my rear fender 5/8". Then I rewelded it. I cut mine 1" above the lower mount.

I think they are referring to the subframe....if you cut and reweld it make sure that you have someone who knows how to weld al. properly otherwise it could be bad bad.:cry:

I think they are referring to the subframe....if you cut and reweld it make sure that you have someone who knows how to weld al. properly otherwise it could be bad bad.:cry:

Yeah, you'd just be 'trimming' the subframe. You just have to watch out for clearance issues with airbox, etc.

A lowering link is the easiest and least expensive but I'm not sure if Kouba link makes one for the KTM's. Get ahold of Norm and see if he makes one.

If not all you can do is raise the forks and put a spacer on the shock. You can get the seat height down maybe 1" lowering the forks and then maximum of another 1" with a 1" spacer. Every 1" you take out of shock travel witha spacer takes out about 3' OF WHEEL TRAVEL.

Takes a suspension guy to do it. If you have a KTM then I would suggest LTR

Racing to so the work. He could revalve it at the same time so you would be set up.

They are doing my wifes Husqvarna right now. She is 5'-5".

Talk to the suspension folks and start there. Ask them about a sub frame mod as well. I didn't catch your age, if you are young enough, you will grow into it and you could go with a lower seat foam at this time. If you are a shorter adult the suspension mods, frame, and seat mods combined could be a big improvement.

I rode with a a 69 yr old senior who was on an 85 Yamaha. He is 5'5". He struggled in the slick snotty clay, but his friends only see his back when the sun dries out the woods. They just brought him out for payback on a rainy day.

KTM chick (my girlfriend) has already had the suspension dialed for her and shaved the seatfoam. She is 25 so growing longer legs is out of the question. Her problem is when we ride reiter or somewhere technical she can't touch the ground this combined with the realitively high ktm chasis makes for some comical tip overs:lol: Just kidding honey:awww: Sorry about the PDA.

Does anybody have any pics of their customized subframes?:cry: