Sign in to follow this  

How fast can you go on a stock "S"

Hello, I just bought a 2003 DRZ400s and I'm wondering what limits the engine speed. I've had mine up to 94 MPH and it seemed maxxed out. Somewhere (a review?) I seem to remember top speed is over 100 mph. I get the feeling if I change to a higher final drive ratio it may do a 100 but stock it just seems like it is revving out. BTW, I don't plan this ride this bike at high speeds - I thought 94 MPH was pretty scary what with the worn out Trail Wings, cross winds, and generally light and high ride. So, what happens if the bike is revved out, does power fall off to the point it won't rev higher, valve float, or is there something really bad that's going to happen? Or does it have an ignition rev limiter?

BTW, I really like this bike, and it's getting some new Maxxis C6006's as I write this.:cry:

S Rev limiter is 10,500 RPMS.. Most stock S bikes will not pull that limit with stock gearing (15/44) Putting lower gearing on it.. will likley not increase your top speed..

I went down to a 43t on the rear and have had my speedo read 110, that is with a full muzzy. Using my GPS, the speedo is consistent 6 mph high.

Bronco you make a good comment about the stock gearing not being able to pull the limiter, so lowering about a tooth will probably go faster.

But no body running 15/41 has ever said their topend.

And if you look at the power chart after 8k it really falls off on horse power, what will 15/41 do before that power decsent?

I don't know?

My speedo from automated radar traps the speedo runs 3 MPH fast, Ive hit 98mph with a tail wind on a flat. Downhill 100 more than likely, but we arent screaming an engine down hill without a load on it.G<

Well, I'm glad to find out there's a limiter, I was thinking that maybe I kinda trashed it some. Power definately peaks somewhere below the revs I was at at 94mph. So going to a smaller rear spocket would be the way for a higher speed. I need to ride it a fair amount on highways so I'm probably keeping the stock gearing to keep from being run down by SUV's on cruise controll.

Bronco you make a good comment about the stock gearing not being able to pull the limiter, so lowering about a tooth will probably go faster.

But no body running 15/41 has ever said their topend.

And if you look at the power chart after 8k it really falls off on horse power, what will 15/41 do before that power decsent?

I don't know?

My speedo from automated radar traps the speedo runs 3 MPH fast, Ive hit 98mph with a tail wind on a flat. Downhill 100 more than likely, but we arent screaming an engine down hill without a load on it.G<

Lowering a tooth????? which end??

If you lower the rear sprocket a tooth,,, this will only lower the over all gearing... As the stock can not,, or just barely reach RPM limit with 15/44.. It's not going to get any faster that way.

If you mean,, lower the front sprocket by a tooth,, raising the effective gearing.. Then,, Yes,, I would say,,, your probably right.. It may just pull a little farther :cry:

Lowering gearing?

I meant chaging the gearing to provide increased acceleration as in adding teeth to the rear or reducing teeth on the front.

Do you see what I mean about the power curve falling off significantly after 8k? that 1500 rpm over rev doesn't mean much if the power curve is heading down hill?

Lowering gearing?

I meant chaging the gearing to provide increased acceleration as in adding teeth to the rear or reducing teeth on the front.

Do you see what I mean about the power curve falling off significantly after 8k? that 1500 rpm over rev doesn't mean much if the power curve is heading down hill?

Yes,, so like I said.... you meant 1 less tooth on the FRONT sprocket,, even though that is not what you said,, Ok yes got that part,, and I agree.. Lowering the gearing might just get him a bit faster..

As for your

1500 rpm over rev
:cry: Over what??? The HP curve goes mostly flat,, yes,, but not really falls off..

But still yes I think I agree with you... A stock S has just enough power in the perferct conditions to rev to the limiter with stock gearing,, add more weight, head wind, a rider not tucked in.. It will power out,, before reving out.

My solution,, add more power..AND lower gearing :cry: I've done a lot of riding and racing in the triple digit speed zone... If I want to go back to that side of my life,, it will not be on a DRZ :cry:

My buddy got 165Km/h (103mph) totally stock. My best was 163km/h (102mph) stock. Are you tucking when you say you top out at 94mph. Tucking makes a big difference.

Spud's point about the power falling off in the upper rev range seems to me to be the crux of the matter. The only dyno curve I've seen for the DRZ400 is the Dynojet one, and it really falls off after it's peak. I think the gearing needs to be higher - as in a smaller rear sprocket in order to go faster. Ultimately, it is peak horsepower that produces peak speed.

Kind of a half hearted tuck. My speed run was in strong crosswinds on a lousy desert backroad on worn trailwings running 18 PSI. Things started getting funny around 90 and I wanted to retain a reasonable riding control position. I think If I really plastered myself down and waited around there may have been five more MPH. Even half sitting up it was still very slowly accellerating - like a mph every 5 seconds. I also worried about over-revving as that motor was howling (in a nice way).

Dirty, was that with 17inch wheels?

Spud that was with the stock wheels, I was tucked in and holding on for dear life going down a stretch of hill on I-75 and was catching the draft behind a car that was speeding. I got it up to an indicated 105mph numerous times but anything after low to mid 90's and the speedo almost comes to a stand still unless you have a tail wind and all of the above.

I get confused as to who's got 17inchers , does make a difference on the speedo.

BUT DUDE, drafting a cage at 105mph on I-75,

That must have been a little intense on a DRZ>G<:cry:

Well, I'm glad to find out there's a limiter.

You can find the limiter on your own with 15/44 in 1st through 4th just fine.

To hit it in 5th you need more then stock S power or different gearing. :cry:

Mine will "show" 117mph... All tucked in and wringing it's neck...:cry: :cry:

But that's with the 17's installed...Due to speedo error it's really only about 100-102...