Sign in to follow this  

best upgrades for 250f?

im about to buy a 05 250f and ive already organised to to get stiffer valve springs and new seats and race valves and while its there its going to get flowed,is there anything else i can do im looking to hoppfully make approx 5-6 more hp and more bottom and mid,pipes dont really look like they do much from dyno charts,what about a cam or vortex ignition any help would be Awsome

Thanks

Ditto on the cam. theres a lot of hidden power in a cam. But you gotta be specific wether you want high or low power. Might be able to get 4 or more horsies out of it. Theres a lot of aftermarket cam companies out there like crower (heard good things about them), webb cams, and hot cams

Talk with RHC from here as he has a good handle, mention if you want reliability or not.

Crower is very good at the billet cams. Regrinds are out there but do research.

Forward Motion is working up a hot package that should be out real soon for the CRF250. I am sort of a guinea pig for them and will give a full report after the first week in March when give it in a good run in florida and georgia.

Be aware that some tuners have a different perception of reliabilty. :cry: Some think 8-12 hours is normal for the power they get and then a total refresh. :cry:

Personally I would like to hear from more guys that run the 270 kit, hard. The CRF seems to respond well to the overbore. I worry about crank life under heavy race use. I am sure the Cam guys will have a hot setup for the 270 also in the future. The 05 head I think flows pretty well and some porting jobs only add polish and not ponies. A hi-Comp piston is a real good choice and adds a punch. The Vortex with the proper mapping (maybe a custom one) with good fuel can make you smile.

4-5 hP is gonna involve some porting. Unless your talking big bore kit. A good exhaust and some race gas would be my first 2 choices, that will get you maybe 3 or 4 Hp , I don't know about 5.

we cant race with that fuel here,but the pipe sounds like an idea any suggestions??and the porting sounds good

yeh i ported my '05 yzf250 and i rekon it gave it alot more bottom end to mid. also there is a little bit of tweaking u can do to the airbox for better air flow that i found works good. a good idea also is a wiseco high compression piston

yeh i ported my '05 yzf250 and i rekon it gave it alot more bottom end to mid. also there is a little bit of tweaking u can do to the airbox for better air flow that i found works good. a good idea also is a wiseco high compression piston

I agree. The high compression piston made the biggest HP difference on my bike. I went with a Dr. D exhaust primarily because I got a great deal on it and it definitely added some noticable punch, especially in the low end which is what I was hoping for.

There are better exhaust choices if you're looking for power. Do a search in this forum on "exhaust" and you'll find some good information.

The new piston, coupled with the exhaust, has definitely provided the punch I was looking for. I'm too cheap to go wiht a big bore kit right now and honestly, at my riding ability, I'm pretty sure any more horsepower would most likely get me into trouble.

Try a Hot Cam and an aftermarket ignition.You won`t beleive the extra power and higher revs.I`ve seen both on ebay recently.I have a Procom ignition box ($130.00) and a Hot Cam ($170.00) and it really brought mine to life `05 CRF250

SKILL and SUSPENSION.

Once you've got these 2 things dialed in, then go for the other stuff.

SKILL and SUSPENSION.

Once you've got these 2 things dialed in, then go for the other stuff.

agree'd i know a few people on completely stock bikes that have only done jetting that get 3rd-4th in B class

im bringing mine back to factory, and only going to use my yoshimura when im doing trail racing (for the spark arrester)

hey guys just though i might add a bit of valuable input into the convo, i recently added a s1 hotcam a vortech ignition, ported head, yoshi slip on,je high com 13:5:1 piston and The backfire mod... after i made these mods i jetted it perfectly (it took alot of time :thumbsup: ) . now its scarily fast, i actually have to use throttle control LoL. seriously its worth every cent!!! its almost like riding a 450f with less torque.

by the way go yoshimura for 05 crf i have tried dr d and all the others and nothing compares to the yoshimura. BIG GUN INCLUDED!