Sign in to follow this  

TTR230 or TTR250

I am looking for a new bike for my 15 year old daughter, shes about 5'8" ride a TTR125L but it's getting to small. She likes the TTR230 because it doesn't have lights:rolleyes: I prefer the TTR250 with better suspension and front/rear disc brakes. The TTR250 is about 2 inches taller, doeas anyone make a lowering kit? She will be doing some cross country races with this bike.

Thanks

Kraig

Im no taller than your daughter and I went with the 2005 TT-R250. It is a MUCH better choice than the 230 IMO. The only thing that may concern me is even if she can touch the ground with both feet, is she strong enough to hold the bike up should it lean a little, however the 230 is only 7 lbs lighter so thats not really an issue. All ini all you really have to love the additional (and adjustable) suspension on the 250, where the 230 has none. Good luck in your decision.

Kraig, I just went through the same thing trying to decide the new bike for my wife.

I don't mean to flame anybody's bike choice here but I decided all of the lower seat height 4 strokes were pigs. Heavy and underpowered.

I bought one of the '04 Husky CR125's for $3K brand new (they are still available at even less than that). Now I'm having it revalved and sprung for her weight and a 1" spacer put in the shock. The forks are raised in the clamp. The suspension mods willo be under $500. Then adding a torque spacer to the reed system and she is set up with a 36" seat height first class bike. for about $3,500. A steal. The bike is at least about 50 lbs lighter than the TTR's you mentioned.

The bike has a really wide power band stock. I haven't put the torque spacer in yet because I'm not sure she will need it. but it is there if she does.

Flame she has ridden a 2 stroke before and said she did like it, I can get her a good KTM 200 with lowerd suspension, fly wheel exce3llent trail bike but she says no! We are ridding a friends CRF230 and CRF250X with lowerd suspension this weekend, see how she does on those.

Kraig

I offerd to buy her a new Husky TE250 fro Motoxotica but she said "yuk those are ugly! you don't see Chad Reed riding one of those!:cry:

Get the 250, I have lowered my wifes 250 from stock to abóut 31 inch seat height. I shaved about 3 inches out of the seat and the kouba link got me another inch. I am going to drop the front CS to a 13 to get a little more out of the bottom

Kraig, if it's a 4 stroke she wants then maybe look at the YZ250F I know she might not need that kind of power band but I think it would be easier to change the power band (if needed?) of a YZ(cam/ignition) than try and shed weight off a TTR.

It's unbeleivable how light the YZ's are compared to the WF's (spec's say 206 lbs. with a new, better, lower end powerband). That is still close to 45 lbs lighter than the TTR'.

Go to the Yamahammer dealer an do they old swing it side to side deal and then maybe have her try and pick them both up off their sides.

Good luck.

A 2005 YZF-250 is about 218 lbs "real world" dry weight; likely about 230 full of gas etc.

Still light though!

actually ya thats a good point get the yz250f!!!! i would say get the wr250f but that has headlights and you said she doesnt want headlights but i think the headlight and tail light look cool on the wr

You can always take the lights off and get a YZF rear fender and front number plate and you could do the different "Free Mods" when she wanted more power.

Thanks guys for all your info, it will not be a YZF as it needs to be a GREEN STICKER bike here in wonderful Calif. She is going to ride a Honda CRF230 & CRF250X this weekend, at least she will get a feel for what she needs.

Will post back on what we decide.

Thanks Again :cry:

In my opinion go for the TT-R250. Its a great bike that has a fair amount of power and isn't too tall. TT-R230 wouldn't be the best just because I think your' daughter might get gored with it. My sister (18, 5'3") rides my TT-R225 occasionally, and she does just fine with it but carps about the lack of power. If I was the one to choosing the bike, I'd go with a TT-R250 for the sake of having a Yamaha (if you/daughter is hell-bent on having a blue bike)or the CRF250X for the Honda. I don't recommend the TT-R230 because of the lack of power, weight, low, low, low seat height, no lights(stock), and I've already had the TT-R experience and don't want it again. Since your daughter is fairly tall, any bike with a taller seat height would work for her no problem.

Open the airbox, take off the throttle limiter screw, add a good silencer, re-jet and you get a pleasent HP pick-up on the TT-R250 as well! :cry:

I don't understand why people don't want lights on their bikes. I will only buy bikes with lights. Never know when you will need them, and they don't add so much weight that the bike becomes a burden.

i have found these parts so far for my ttr 250,scotts steering damper,utah sport skid plate,works connection frame guards,shark fin rear disc guard,mair front fork&disc guard,fastway f3 footpegs,fmf megamax 2,baja designs dual sport kit,909 hand guards,aluminum breather hose cap,brake snake,sendec tac&hour meter,bell bicycle speedometer.i also have some jetting part numbers.they also make some other stuff like kickstart kit,piston kits,like 5 or 6 differnt pipes,some slip on some full systems,o and have seen aluminum or titanium case savers for the 250 also.

i have found these parts so far for my ttr 250,scotts steering damper,utah sport skid plate,works connection frame guards,shark fin rear disc guard,mair front fork&disc guard,fastway f3 footpegs,fmf megamax 2,baja designs dual sport kit,909 hand guards,aluminum breather hose cap,brake snake,sendec tac&hour meter,bell bicycle speedometer.i also have some jetting part numbers.they also make some other stuff like kickstart kit,piston kits,like 5 or 6 differnt pipes,some slip on some full systems,o and have seen aluminum or titanium case savers for the 250 also.

Were did u find all of this?

Get the 250, I have lowered my wifes 250 from stock to abóut 31 inch seat height. I shaved about 3 inches out of the seat and the kouba link got me another inch. I am going to drop the front CS to a 13 to get a little more out of the bottom

I love my TTR-250, Zekedawg really hooked me up. :cry: