Sign in to follow this  

Advice needed QUICK! 04 vs 05

my buddy is looking to get a CRF250 and was sold on the 05...

UNTIL TODAY!!

He was offered an 04 by a local dealer for 1,000 less!!

05 5900

04 4900

they are brand new.

My questions are: What are the main differences. I realize they have different porting on 05 for better lowend. The main concern was the issue/rumors of the smaller cylinder skirt on 04 and possibility of it breaking off. Is this true? Has it been fixed in 05? Was this a common failure? Or just in isolated instances?

Please let me know any info that would make this decision easier. He is 6'2 and like 180 ish. I am thinking the 04 with 1000 for suspension work and customization would be the better deal. Maybe even send the head in for RHC porting with that extra $$ ??

i'm sure there will be plenty of opinions.... quickly please... he is going to buy tonight

Either way I think it's a wash, he'll be able to sell the 04 for around $1k less than the 05 when it comes time for a new bike...

I just read the 250F reviews on TWMX and RX, and I think the 05 has a better motor and better geometry = handling...

well.... turns out the dealer goofed...they want 5300 for the 04 after further talking.

He is getting the 05 for sure now. It's only $600 more and it's that whole new bike latest/greatest sensation

Can't wait. I have been DYING to test the CRF250!! Just hope it doesn't make me want to go sell my 02 CRF450!

Can't wait. I have been DYING to test the CRF250!! Just hope it doesn't make me want to go sell my 02 CRF450!

It will.

:cry:

I rode a '04 250, and sold my '03 450 a.s.a.p.... I bought an '05 CRF250R, WAY better than the '04.... Ill tell you, it will want to make you sell the 450.:cry:

I rode a '04 250, and sold my '03 450 a.s.a.p.... I bought an '05 CRF250R, WAY better than the '04.... Ill tell you, it will want to make you sell the 450.:cry:

I did the same...love the baby thumper. I got a cherry 2004 for $4000 and spent 2k in stuff for it....suspension work, CHM SM1 exhaust, springs, spare tires, spare clutch, 2005 head with new valves and springs, subtanks, new gear, new helmet, oversize EBC brake, new piston, grips, etc. LOADED....the bike is awesome. Can't wait till I get the 2005 head on it with the higher compression piston...