Sign in to follow this  

Carb Problems? Any Suggestions?

My bike is trying to kill me, but I thought I would run the problem by the TT gurus :cry: before ripping it apart.

The set up - 2001 DRZ400 kicker, 160 main, Stock needle, Clip 5, 45 pilot, 2.5 turns on the fuel screw, FMF Q pipe, no toil filter, new/clean gas.

The problem - The bike starts die on bumpy, fast hill climbs. It'll be ripping along in 1st or 2nd, then the rpms will just start to drop. It'll drop all the way back to idle then die unless you pull the clutch in (not much fun on a steep rocky hillcllimb). Started doing this about 2 months ago, and it just keeps getting worse. At first I thought there might be something in the fuel line, but it only happens when you are pushing the engine hard, then let the rpms drop a bit (either by rolling off the throttle, or running out of steam in the hill) and the drop off is almost instant.

Other symptoms - over all the bike runs great. There has always been a bit of a hesitation at lower RPMs, but I try to keep the motor spinning anyway. Starting the bike cold, I have to leave the choke on for a minute or two, and blip the throttle before turning it off or the motor dies. No problems starting it warm.

So, any ideas :cry: ? Should I rip the carb apart (just did it about a year ago so I'm not really looking forward to doing it again)? Or should I try adjusting the fuel screw? Too rich or too lean?

Help!!!

Sephw

Save Clear Creek and the Future of OHV.

For the hesitation and long warm up, let the fuel screw out a bit. I have the same bike and same pipe with a 165 main. I had to go to ~3.5 turns out before it stopped dying every time I bliped the throtle. now I can just use the choke to start and it go no prob. The dying up hill is some thing I don't know about.:cry: vent hose blocked maybe?

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Did you add an in line filter? If so, remove it. Check the in-tank filter. Check to see if there is a filter screen on the fuel inlet valve and if it is clear. (You have to remove the fuel valve from the carb body) Check float height and free operation.